Author Topic: Spool size on a Crower IR injection.  (Read 13024 times)

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Kjula Raceway
Spool size on a Crower IR injection.
« on: May 17, 2016, 12:03:28 PM »
Hi :) As vintage  dragracing is growing here in Norway, new Engines are built.
We are currently working with a Crower IR set-up for a BBC, 580 cid.on Alky.
Does anybody know the width / Sizes on the spool in the Crower Barrel valve?

Best regards
Kjell

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
Re: Spool size on a Crower IR injection.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 07:18:21 AM »
Kjell - vintage racing popular there, means you have good shows.  See picture of a friend’s “vintage” Crower 8H.  Was on top a 6-71 early hemi and has original Crower barrel valve.  The Crower stack injection BV setup differs.  Are you seeking dimensions to machine your own BV and spool?  Alan

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:57:20 AM »
For the type of racing we do on this site, the spool or barrel valve are basicly the same size and diameter with the only difference between gas-alc-nitro is the idle slot/ramp

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:19:57 AM »
Hi Alan, yes new cars popping up, and some cars gets some upgrades.  Yes the shows are really good, actually we are invited to one of the best tracks. Hope to make it there with the Flathead dragster, waiting to get it machined. ;/ After last year, read record short, the block cracked in nine places :o I don't know if the spool is the same for the stack and blower injector.

Bruce.
The Crower spool has a larger diameter and a narrower slot then Hilborn with a .400" slot. But according to my calculations, they should have approx the same arial. The problem is that the engine don't get enough fuel, even opening the BV for more leakdown will not help. A .50 pill@4psi on the main byfass help some, but still to lean. The 580 cid has eight X36 Enderle nozzles and we use a Enderle 81A-1 fuel pump cam mounted. The system pressure at idle is approx. 20 psi witch i think is way to much, and thinking that the spool is the restrictor. As a note, we don't have an Idle bypass.

The owner has made some spool blanks this week, so we will try to make a new spool with a little wider slot and maybe a little more aggressiv ramp. The butterflies are 2.9 " in diameter, so we need a lot of fuel when they open up.

If we knew the excact spool data, it would have been a little easier to tune it, but I do belive we will get it running. Hope :)

Kjell

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 02:57:54 PM »
Flathead block “cracked in nine places” that’s record in my book : )  That many cracks might not be fixable.  Nice to receive invitation to run at best track, rarely happens here for a “Supercharged Ford Flathead V8.” 

Was guessing you were making your own parts.  Spool doesn’t look complicated to replicate, make it work flawless requires more determination.  Crower made a individual runners (IR) unit for the 396-427-454ci Chevy with butterflies close to 2.9”.  Your friend’s 580ci engine little larger…

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »
Yep Alan, nine cracks is record in my book at least ;) It might be more, but I have stopped counting;) The cause was more than one fault. After breaking the rear-end, 8 3/4 Chrysler, we really needed a good run the same weekend, so overheated the poor old flattie, and smart me had experimented, filling the block with expoxy witch should not expand, but it did!! ;) So two new blocks are in the works, as all internal parts survived ;)

Are are correct Alan, and you pointed out the fact that this Crower injector was never made for a displacement of 580 cid. Also modern high flow racing heads and cams also is an factor. With 2.9" butterflies opening, this one needs alot of fuel ;)

/Kjell

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 05:33:32 PM »
One of the members here Andrewb has had a flat head V8 block for sale that has been filled with aluminum. I see it pop up on Craigslist every now and than

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 08:20:36 PM »
Paul – thank you for passing on that information; seldom seen drag-only block.  Andrew and his flathead, he has remarkable ideas, be memorable milestone he finishes his project.  We all know requires much patience, constantly other priorities.  Alan

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 09:43:50 PM »
Yes his father in-law Earl Floyd is a wealth of knowledge! He ran Jr.fuel injected nitro Desotos and many more combinations
http://cacklefest.com/Northwind.shtml

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 12:01:17 AM »
Hi Paul :) Thanks for the info.
I have tried to search for Andrewb, but only this thread came up. Please PM his contact info if you have it.
The two new block are gone be filled with Moroso Block-rock

/Kjell

dreracecar

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »
Are you sure you alc BV and not a gas BV ???

Get the system (injector and pump) on a flow bench and get a baseline (lbs per hour fuel burned x CID)
when was the last time the pump was checked???
has the system you have ever ran before and how did it perform and what type of car was it on?
what is the indication that its lean?
what are you running for a transmission?
running without an Idle check makes it fat which is fine for cars that have a rolling start  ( Sprint cars and such)

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 09:45:09 AM »
I had his phone number at one time as I bought some parts from him but couldn't find it if you click on the hyperlink below you could send him a PM
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=269

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 12:17:58 PM »
Bruce

We would have flow tested the hole thing if we have had time, as it need to be sent to a good friend in Sweden. Right now we had hoped to get it running for an upcoming event. The pump is brand new, and we tested it to be sure. But the system pressure indicates that it makes more than enough fuel. The Crower injection has never been tested over here, bought from a guy in the US. It came with 6 X 38A nozzles and 2x 37A nozzles, correct me if I'm wrong, should indicate that it had been running on Alky.
By lean? It does not run propperly on all cylinders, even with the .50 pill @ 4psi in the main byfass, it still would not run good. No extensive smell or sputter. With almost 50% leakdown it should have really fat.
Regarding Idle or secondary bypass, some are not using them. I know that in Nitro appication it was normally not used in older high pressure systems. Again, correct me if I'm all wrong, but what I have experienced, is that it the Idle bypass is more important on smaller engines that could not handle/burn that much fuel. It is mandatory on my small 290 cid, both on launch and going off from WOT at the 1320 mark. We will consider the secondary on this 580 cid when and if it gets enough fuel.
We are gone test some ideas this weekend and I will get back with a report or some more questions ;)

Thanks Paul, could be really interesting to get in contact with Andrew :)

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 12:28:22 PM »
Oh Bruce, and you asked if the BV is an Alky BV?
That was my intial question, how do I see that?
Hilborn BV's are the same for Petrol, Alky and Nitro, just different spools.
Does not this apply for the Crower BV's?

And as Alan wrote, these units was made for 396-427-454 cid BBC. Not for a 580 cid.
Have checked each cylinder with for leakdown,  and Spark is also OK,  so next up is that we will check the vacume in each stack with a Uni-syn and go from there..

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 03:42:57 PM »
If it is lean at an idle put more leak to it the engine doesn't care how much leak it has just as long as it's not lean or over fat.
Can  you whack the throttle from an idle? Does it have a stumble if so fatten the barrel valve.