Author Topic: Newby with Questions  (Read 14776 times)

Offline Oldford 65

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24@ 155 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: 427 Sbc on Alky
  • Your Track: Bradenton
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: SWFL
Newby with Questions
« on: March 29, 2016, 07:59:11 PM »
Just bought a FED roller and wonder what I should set the pinion angle and tranny at, powerglide with long tailshaft and 9" rear.  I will be using a driveshaft.  Also with the 1/4" plate between motor and tranny will that be a problem for the starter and converter to engage? I'm putting a sbc in it.  I've built a dozen streetrods starting with a bare frame but this is a little different.  I'll get some pictures posted soon.   Thanks

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Newby with Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 04:53:45 AM »
The driveline should be a straight line from the crank centerline to the rear end. Chassis builders normally use a dummy block and a line up bar that bolts to the third member to position the motor/trans in the frame. By driveshaft are you talking a regular U-jointed unit or a splined coupler style?. It is a good idea to let your converter manufacturer know that the unit will be installed with a mid plate. On most starters there is enough pinion travel to engage the ring gear but it would be a good idea to double check.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline Oldford 65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 06:08:24 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I was planning on using a regular driveshaft with u joints....is that a bad idea? Only planning on having 350 - 400hp.  I'm 65 years old, I think that will be fast enough.  It will mostly be test and tune and some bracket racing.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 06:26:16 AM »
On a chevy, the starter and ring gear relationship doesn't change with the addition of a motor plate. The converter will need spacers or need to be purpose built for use with a motor plate.

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:54:38 AM »
A drive shaft with U-joints is not the way to go, there is more work into building a cover around it and unless you angle the relationship of the yokes at both ends you will pound the u-joints which can lead to failure.
 Couplers are relitivly inexpensive and dont require too much maintenence.

Is the reason for the u-joints, because you already have a stock the 3rd member with the yoke on it? Stock Ford housings with blow the pinion carrier out of it unless its nodular iron 

Offline Oldford 65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »
I'm new to all this.  I already have the cover that goes around driveshaft, it came with the rolling chasiss ...that was what the previous owner was going to use.  Yes I already have a 9" but I need to put a 35 spline spool in it. After reading your post I don't want anything coming apart with my legs wrap around it.  I think I will just get new 3rd member and coupler from Strange.  The housing has a 1 piece axle with 35 spline, is that better than 2 axles?  Hopefully I can get this put together in the next couple months.  Thanks again

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 09:24:04 PM »
Not much info on the car itself, So a standard question for me is
  Does it have  a SFI chassis sticker on it?

Offline Oldford 65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 12:53:30 PM »
No sticker yet.  Do I just get it inspected when the chassis is done or when it is completed?  I don't have any info other than it is 184" wheelbase, front end has a arms and R&P steering, drivers cage has been updated.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »
No sticker yet.  Do I just get it inspected when the chassis is done or when it is completed?  I don't have any info other than it is 184" wheelbase, front end has a arms and R&P steering, drivers cage has been updated.
[/quot

If it doesn't have a current certification I would have it inspected now. You may find you have a show/cackle only chassis. We bought a " only needs a few lines to race" F.E.D.only to spend the next 1.5 years rebuilding the chassis , engine and transmission. I will NOT buy another race car without a current sticker and paperwork.

Offline probird

• View Profile
  • Your Track: alberta
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 02:20:10 PM »
How bout some pictures? A thousand words...........

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 08:13:10 AM »
Here are some pictures I received from Randy to be posted.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Oldford 65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 03:29:34 PM »
Thanks Glenn.  The only thing I know about this that it was probably built in the late 90"s and recently came from Daytona area. Anybody recognize this chassis?  I know it has the wrong type front end on it, lol

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »
Pictures can't tell tubing size or thickness.

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 05:00:45 PM »
Nice looking car Randy.
 I'm a guy with first hand disappointment on a sonic check when I thought I was all ready to sticker. My 2 cents would be get a hold of the person who will be certifying the car now. Work with the guy. A phone call and a couple quick checks to make sure things are on track would be money well spent. It will make final certification easier. All dressed up with no place to go is NO Fun.

dreracecar

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 05:19:19 PM »
Just got off the phone with someone who just failed chassis tag, trusted the guy who sold it to him that it would cert and had a bunch of work done, had to tell the guy that he would be better off getting another chassis as would have to replace 65% of the tubing according to the SFI cert paper