Author Topic: rim screw placement  (Read 3407 times)

Offline bad penny

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: bbc alcohol 540
  • Your Track: castrol edmonton
  • Your Vehicle: 2008 185 tuttle
rim screw placement
« on: March 22, 2016, 09:11:04 PM »
Did a little research on rim screw placement.I have set of american racing rims.ive seen two different ways of placement is there a right or wrong way.One is on the bead face the other is on the rolled edge at 45 degree angle alternating with the bead face.

dreracecar

Re: rim screw placement
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:11:02 AM »
Unless you car is extreemly heavy you dont need that many, 5 per side directly into the rim spaced between the wheel lugs(for reference)
 Drill the rim and install rim grd-8 screws prior to installing the tire to thread the rim. Remove screws and install tire and seat bead, re-install screws with a little oil and only tighten down to where the screw base is seated and no more

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 02:12:20 PM »
I read an article that suggested making sure the screws line up front side to back side. The reasoning was to make sure both sides of the tire were doing the same thing.
I found it easier to put screws in with 20 or so pounds of air in the tire. Lower it tried to push bead away from the rim.

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 04:34:09 PM »
 BK I believe I saw the same article. Don't know that I've ever ran the screws in a off clocked position.  Also saw a slow motion vid that showed a direct correlation to the amount of the wrinkles and the amount of screws. More screws equaled more wrinkles.