Author Topic: The Fun of driving your fed  (Read 6396 times)

Offline aafa760

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7:02 @ 196
  • Your Engine: Blown BBC 450 BAE 496
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 225 Frameworks 7.0 Pro
  • General Location: PHX AZ
The Fun of driving your fed
« on: March 20, 2016, 08:02:38 PM »
Ok guys I had a blast this weekend we put 5 laps on the car  I ran best now of the  7:98 @ 177  and can apply for my Et license and try to get car to run harder on bottom. For advanced ET.
My best 60 was only 1.29 so we need some more HP never even saw any cad off plugs or above 7500 rpm so more work for me.
 It has two disk pedal clutch  and 4:30 rear gear 33x15 tire 56% lenco.
so we got some work to do but this was my first FED and it was a blast to drive it.

Also has any one tried running the stroud chutes will out the bag??
I found both mine laying on the wheel Bar with two passes at 170 +
So for last two I installed an older simpson we had in trailer it worked 2 passes. one stroud layed on bars :-( maybe pilot chutes??
So it not the packer of chute :-)

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
Re: The Fun of driving your fed
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 10:17:51 AM »
You are right you have some work to do,7.98 is aways from 7.0's, but with a blown BBC you should be able to get there.
1.29 shows you are not leaving hard enough. Our JF car that runs 1.00-1.05 sixty foot times with my injected SBC, and has run allot of 7.0's. It has been over 40 years since I ran a clutch, so you might want to talk to your clutch supplier to get some tips, but of course you need to launch harder. Why are you running a clutch, old school, had the parts, cheaper than a Powerglide ? Your clutch will require more between round maintance than a converter. I'm not sure any 7.0 cars run cltuches, only injected nitro in A/FD. Powerglide will be more consistant, partly because of a trans brake, I just talked to a A/FD nitro team complaining that the transbrake racers have an unfair advantage over the clutch teams.
I'm glad you are using plugs with cad platiing so you can "read" the plugs better. Yes, you are too fat if you don't see any discoloration, and if you don't see any discoloration on the plug ground strap you may need more timing. One tip I give to "newbies" is to put one new plug in so when you look at your plugs you have just one run to look at. Another tip I give is for the 1'st run of the week-end install the new plug in # 1 hole, #2 run , new plug in #2 hole, etc. Reading your plugs will help you allot getting your tune-up right. And of course, a data system, like RacePak or RPM will give you allot of info and help running your car. I suspect once you get your set-up close, your problem will be Slowing your combo to run 7.0's.
I have only had a limited experience with a "bag" chute, last year i was trying to help a new Jrfuel guy get his licsense in Vegas, and I thought it was difficult to work with, and wondered the same thing about not using the bag. So of course call Stroud for advice. but one thing that helped our chute deployment was when we added a wedged bracket to the chute mount to allow the pilot chute to shoot over the top of the roll bar to get to clean air. No problem since we did that plan running 190mph. Also all chute companies will make netting to cover your wheelie bars so your lines don't get caught in your wheelie bar tubing.

Jon 805-444-4489
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline aafa760

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7:02 @ 196
  • Your Engine: Blown BBC 450 BAE 496
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 225 Frameworks 7.0 Pro
  • General Location: PHX AZ
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 10:34:46 AM »
John it is old A-fuel car of Rick White and Chuck Neal.
It had the two disk pedal and lenco in it.

it also had the 7.0 gal pump on it. I up that to a 110 and changed the nozzles to area that we have run before on bigger engine.
Wanted to be safe while I got used to long car and driving.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 10:48:07 AM »
I know with a pedal clutch it is a lot harder to cut killer lights! But on that the winner of the 7.0 Pro Championship for the 2015 year was Mike Peck, and he runs a pedal clutch and a 3-speed Lenco. So he has made it work, I race with Mike and his car runs 6.50's to 6.70' with us and slows it to 7.0's. At the March Meet this year he was number 1 qualifier after his first pass 7.002  :o

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
Former Champ Rick High in  Terry Caldwell's 7.0 dragster runs a clutch and lenco

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
I believe there is a guy that runs with the NDRL that has a pedal clutch, high gear only, running 7.00's, blown 392.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club