Author Topic: Class choice  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Jmed795

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: None
  • Your Engine: None
  • Your Track: Spokane county raceway
  • Your Vehicle: None
  • General Location: Spokane wa
Class choice
« on: January 26, 2016, 08:41:34 PM »
Hi guys,
First post here. My name is Justin, I am planning a fed build and have a few questions. I live in Spokane WA and my local track is going back to NHRA this year. The track has three classes to choose from that I can see my fed running in. Super pro,pro, and sportsman. I will probably be running super pro based on the hp I want to make if I can get it to hook . I don't really want to bracket race but the track doesn't offer comp eliminator and the only other heads up classes would be top fuel and top alcohol.

My plans include a 225" inch wheelbase fed built to 2.2c specs I am thinking of putting a blown alcohol 427 bbc in front of a glide.  Do u guys think that I would be even close to competitive in super pro with this combination? I really don't like the idea of all the electronics for the bracket racing but without having a comp eliminator class or running head to head in top alcohol I don't see a way around it.

Thanks for any advise or input.
Justin

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
Re: Class choice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 11:19:29 PM »
Justin, your plans for your race would fit into the NHRA Heritage 7.0 Pro, or NE-1 [ 7.60] classes. Check the Heritage web site for rules.
It's just that unless Steve Gibbs can sell a Heritage event in Spokane, you will have to travel. The closest is Salt Lake City [ 2 back to back events] 720 miles, next closest is Sacramento, 820 mi, and of course the big nostaliga races are in Bakersfield, 1100 mi.
But you could race your combo in Top Dragster, ya I know the real fast guys run in the low 6's, but if you race Div 6 events you may not run into many real fast guys, besides you pick your dial-in. Check the NHRA web site for Div 6 races, 280 miles to 425 miles from you, besides one race in Spokane, two races in Woodburn, Or, Seattle, Mission B.C.,  Boise, and of course the NHRA National in Seattle [280 mi]. Your combo will not fit into any Comp class, but if you build your FED blown Alky BBC you could race Heritage, or Top Dragster.
BTW Gary Adams,[ Gene's brother] lives in Spokane and he is always working on getting events for nostaliga A/FD, like they will have a booked in A/FD show in Woodburn this year. You might be able to run with those guys. How far are you willing to tow ?
I don't know about Spokane Super Pro, or Pro, so see how your race car would fit into these classes.  Also talk to other racers to see if you could get a Heritage type group together.

Jon Hansen, JrfuelDragsterAssociation, and Hayden Wheels, 805-444-4489
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:24:55 AM »
Unless your plans are to run N T/F going to a 2.2 spec is not your best choice.  A 2.4 spec is good to 6.0 sec and a whole lot less tubing/weight and being just a safe at the speeds you are going to run.

Im unfamiler with those classes and what they mean as far as how they are run and the et's, but as a novice trying to get a blown car to run consistant on a number (Index type) is a lot of work and constant adjusting thru-out the day, also racing it up in WA has its own issues with regards to tuneing.
 Straight injection (maybe a kiss of nitro) will/can deadly consistant in the 7.50 range
 I am also a believer that one does not always need to go to the max on a Dragster. 225" is long and wide tires and wheels presents some issues. As Jon can attest to , I was pretty good at it with a blown alc SBC and 193" 2.4 spec chassis  12wide tire  running 7.0's

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »
Come run with us at Woodburn http://pronostalgia.org we are fast bracket class with cars running anywhere from 6.50's to 7.90's in two different groups of 8 typically the quicker group has a bump spot of 7.20 ish our quickest bump spot was a 6.90 for the quick 8. We also run a pro tree we have blown alky, injected nitro, injected alky cars running clutches or powerglides. We also have a race at Bremerton Wa and Mission Raceway in Canada. You can also find us on Facebook

Offline Jmed795

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: None
  • Your Engine: None
  • Your Track: Spokane county raceway
  • Your Vehicle: None
  • General Location: Spokane wa
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 05:22:57 PM »
Hey thanks guys for all the great info! My only reason for building the chassis to the 2.2 specs was so I can go faster later on without having to add tubing later. I am trying to get ahold of the tech guy at the track so I can figure out what class exactly my build will fit into.  Thanks again for all the info !

Offline Pipe Dreams

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.09@165
  • Your Engine: 416 small block MOPAR
  • Your Track: Milan,Mi or Norwalk,Oh
  • Your Vehicle: 170" woody gilmore fed
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 02:45:39 PM »
Don't know the rules for your track but at Norwalk all dragsters have to run in super pro regardless of  weather you run electronics or not. For brackets just a nice injected car works great. It' s all about consisticy.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 05:03:53 PM »
Blown alky BBC in a FED I would think Super Pro or Top Dragster if car is self starting for local races. For some l reason I was thinking Suoer Pro had a 7.50 cap??