Author Topic: My Front Engine Dragster Experience this year (kind of long)  (Read 4569 times)

Offline tony1966

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.62 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Great Lakes Dragaway
  • Your Vehicle: 2008 FED
My Front Engine Dragster Experience this year (kind of long)
« on: November 07, 2015, 08:30:40 PM »
It’s been a while since I posted last, so I thought I would give an update on my progress since last time.  Since buying the car 2 years ago now, I have now made a total of 20 or so passes in it, most of them this year.  The fastest thing I drove before was a 10.0 second door car, so moving up to a 7 second car took me some time.  Last year, high gear only runs netted 8 teens.

After last year, I decided to add a longer wheelie bar to the car (old one was maybe two feet long) and to connect the electric shifter to the rpm activated switch on the ignition box.

This year I spent a lot of time figuring out how to keep dirt and junk out of my nozzles.  The tank, when made originally, had holes drilled for the fittings, which were then welded on.  The holes weren’t deburred so well and the aluminum shards broke off little by little, and found their way to the nozzles.

I met up earlier in the year with a guy who runs a local club of nostalgia racers, and he invited me to join them for a Labor Day race at Union Grove, so the pressure was on to get my stuff sorted out. The Saturday race was my first time out with everything in order (fuel tank clean, bypass jet close to correct).  This was also the first time with someone in the other lane.  The first run was 7.78, using low gear, leaving off idle.  The car really doesn’t like the leaving off idle stuff, but I was still getting used to the low gear launches.  All weekend the car was in the high 7’s, got a lot of compliments and met some really neat people.  It was around 90 deg all weekend with really high humidity, but other than sweating a lot it was a great experience.

The winter projects include a new fuel tank, better jack and jack stands to use at the track, and a starter that allow me to put the diaper on so that it doesn’t drag on the ground so much.  Next year I’ll be using the transbrake, and playing around with the high speed lean out that I have not used so far.

Driving the dragster is the most fun I’ve had.  Ever.  I really wished I’d done it years ago, but never trusted my driving abilities, never had enough money, blah blah blah.  The dragster is a dream to drive, goes straight and is easy to handle when you lose traction.  And it was less expensive to get into this one than it was to build the door car I have.

Tony

Offline probird

• View Profile
  • Your Track: alberta
Re: My Front Engine Dragster Experience this year (kind of long)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 10:57:53 PM »
sounds awesome Tony! keep up the progress reports! I just bought one for next year. Do you find starting in high gear better until you get some decent seat time in? I'm thinking slowly sneak up on it until you feel comfortable.
Barry.

Offline tony1966

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.62 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Great Lakes Dragaway
  • Your Vehicle: 2008 FED
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 05:59:33 PM »
yes, the high gear starts were a little hard on the converter, but way easier on me.  The first few laps I didn't have the electric shifter connected, so i had to shift manually.  I had a habit of steering to the right when i shifted.  The high gear thing helped slow everything down for me until I caught up to it.

Good luck!

Tony

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 06:03:24 PM »
Looks like you had a great season

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 06:20:58 PM »
Nice Tony;
Thanks for sharing.
Lots of Family in Chi town so I was able to get up to Great Lakes a couple times back in 60's.
Nice track and got to see Broadway Bob.
 8)
Heres to a great 2016
Luke
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."