Author Topic: School or place to try one out?  (Read 8659 times)

Offline Reebs

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Dragway 42
  • Your Vehicle: 70 Buick Skylark
School or place to try one out?
« on: September 14, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »
I'm the guy who loves the FED but have never driven one. Is there any place I can PAY and take a blast down the track? Driving Schools?
I don't have any racing buddies to ask.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: School or place to try one out?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 06:43:12 PM »
I'm the guy who loves the FED but have never driven one. Is there any place I can PAY and take a blast down the track? Driving Schools?
I don't have any racing buddies to ask.

This place is excellent. I took just the classroom and it was worth the $, if I ever get back that way I will take the full program.

They have rear engine dragsters and cars.

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »
No school has FE dragsters, to much of a niche style racing. Honestly for me you could build a car for what it would cost you
Let me explain

I dont have the liability insurance to cover you in case something happens weather it be the car or you. A good school has that coverage (waivers dont mean sqwat) and trained instructers that will pull you from the car if not paying attention to instructions.
Not only does one put up the class fee but you must show financial responcability to pay for damage if you should do so.
Since it is their program they can outfit you and adjust the controls so you can start licencing which can take at least 4 passes, more if there are issues. before they let you go screaming down the 1320
So for me its not just giving me $100 to make a pass in my car-aint happening!.If you can find someone that will--- thats Great!! but I like my home and hate lawyers

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 12:58:16 PM »
IMO your better off as Bruce said building one.Build mild motor to start or set it up soft.Ease your way into it.I ahve been  5.70's at 240 plus and I don't plan to hammer it first shot or two.Well unless it feels really good the first  shot. A fed is different than a RED in more ways than just where the motor is located.IMO going to school that has rear engine cars would be some what of waste of money.
   If you build nice piece and after you make some runs you decide its not for you.Then you either sale or put someone else in the seat.You may loose few bucks selling but not much more than paying to ride someone else car.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 01:44:14 PM »
I would think that a school might be a good idea for someone who has never done this before . If you are not sure if you really want to race it would be a good place to start . I know they are rear engine dragsters but they are still fast . I am not sure how much it costs to do it .

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 05:19:17 PM »
If you have not driven a 9 second racecar before I suggest Glenn's idea Frank Hawley driving school. Your mind and body need to reprogram itself for that kind of input, so his school will give you important tips and the experience of driving a dragster. Also you can get your license from the school. The main difference between RED and FED is what you see in front of you, as far as the accelation goes.
Another idea, but no school, is to book a plane ticket and hotel to come out to Bakersfield for the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion Oct 22-25, the pits will be full of FED, some for sale and you can get loads of advice, besides watching FED race.
As far as driving a dragster, the cheapest ride would be, while you are in SoCal drive to SpeedZone in the LA area where you can make 3 runs in a RED that will run 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds and feel 7'gs of acceleration and 2'gs of de-acceleration for $15. Yes it's an amusement park, but it will get you the feeling of driving a dragster with a SBC behind you, a shift butten on the butterfly steering wheel,  and the brake system feels like the chute opening. These are real tube chassis cars with slicks and narrow front wheels. Just check-out their website and make that part of your west coast trip. JUst fly into LAX, rent a car, go to SpeedZone, it's open until midnight, and then the next day drive 2 hours to Bakersfield for the full adventure.
If you decide on Bakersfield, let me know and you can hang-out with our JrFuel team.
Jon, 805-444-4489
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline Reebs

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Dragway 42
  • Your Vehicle: 70 Buick Skylark
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. This place is great.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 05:56:43 PM »
" ...This place is great."

YES it is!

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »
Actually, instead of doing the engine on a stick school, do the funny car school, the 125" wheelbase will prepare you better for a FED.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »
Speed zone is a great place to play...
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Just a little 355 Chevy
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: 2013,160" CenPen Speed Shop (Worm)
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 02:56:38 PM »
 look up Worm, slingshot dragster.com. He has a deal going where you can take one of his cars down the track. I don't know the price, but he does have "rentals"

Offline roadster27

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.53@183 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 565 dart
  • Your Track: castrol raceway , edmonton , alberta
  • Your Vehicle: 27T harwood roadster
  • General Location: rocky mountains
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 11:16:21 AM »
Frank Hawleys school is 2 days , $1900 , plu hotel and airfare and meals , probably $3000 , they supply everything and you run 9.4 seconds on the last run of 5 , if you pass the first 4 , if not it is $300 a pass
they only have rear engine dragsters ,
there is a nice rolling chassis of a 23 altered on topolinos and bantam site for $6500 , put in a mild motor and trans and try it out , if you don't like , resell it
Harwood roadster 27T
565 , PG , 4.10
Top Eliminator

Offline Mr Froggy

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 12.23 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Thunder Valley
  • Your Vehicle: 68 Dodge Coronet 500
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
Do you have a link for the Topolino and Bantam sight?  I've never seen that sight before.

Offline Mr Froggy

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 12.23 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Thunder Valley
  • Your Vehicle: 68 Dodge Coronet 500
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 09:37:18 AM »
If you have not driven a 9 second racecar before I suggest Glenn's idea Frank Hawley driving school. Your mind and body need to reprogram itself for that kind of input, so his school will give you important tips and the experience of driving a dragster. Also you can get your license from the school. The main difference between RED and FED is what you see in front of you, as far as the accelation goes.
Another idea, but no school, is to book a plane ticket and hotel to come out to Bakersfield for the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion Oct 22-25, the pits will be full of FED, some for sale and you can get loads of advice, besides watching FED race.
As far as driving a dragster, the cheapest ride would be, while you are in SoCal drive to SpeedZone in the LA area where you can make 3 runs in a RED that will run 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds and feel 7'gs of acceleration and 2'gs of de-acceleration for $15. Yes it's an amusement park, but it will get you the feeling of driving a dragster with a SBC behind you, a shift butten on the butterfly steering wheel,  and the brake system feels like the chute opening. These are real tube chassis cars with slicks and narrow front wheels. Just check-out their website and make that part of your west coast trip. JUst fly into LAX, rent a car, go to SpeedZone, it's open until midnight, and then the next day drive 2 hours to Bakersfield for the full adventure.
If you decide on Bakersfield, let me know and you can hang-out with our JrFuel team.
Jon, 805-444-4489

Jon is right about Bakersfield.   A Great event and its Rail Heaven!