Author Topic: converter  (Read 3382 times)

Offline spookie

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.92 1/4 5.59 1/8
  • Your Track: Quarter Aces drag-o-way
  • Your Vehicle: F.E.D.
converter
« on: September 13, 2015, 08:17:25 AM »
Have small block chevy with powerglide. Runs 5.60's 1/8mi. With 5200 stall,spragless converter. Will 2steping at 3000 rpm on transbrake harm converter?  :-\

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: converter
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 05:00:20 PM »
Can't imagine it will as light as our cars are--Converters are made tougher if the builder knows you will use with a transbrake--I have used regular converters with one and had good results. If you plan on running a brake from now on I would make sure that converter is up to the task or get one that is. Remember to MINIMIZE time on the brake--Trans temp climbs at an astonishing rate when you are on it-
I footbrake my car and feel like it is more "old school" and I just always liked it compared to box/brake racing--that is just my opinion. Footbraking is WAY easier on all equipment.
Just my 2 cents worth
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
Re: converter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 06:51:58 AM »
Well let's be honest, nothing we do is easy on parts, it's the nature of racing. Now is it abusive? No it is not, in fact the farther under you stall the easier it is on your converter. You create less heat, and internal pressure. We launch our Camaro at 4800 with a stall speed of 5800. So I would say you are plenty safe, as long as you are running a good quality converter. As a side note I'm a big fan of trans coolers.

Hope this helps
Dan