Author Topic: Need advice with new build with LS 3 engine  (Read 4309 times)

Offline sawdawg

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: Bonneville 160mph
  • Your Engine: LS3
  • Your Track: Madras, Or.
  • Your Vehicle: Bonneville lakester
  • General Location: west coast
Need advice with new build with LS 3 engine
« on: August 15, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »
I've been a Bonneville racer for the past six years but the events keep getting rained out so I need to find something else to do with my LS3 engine. The car I have currently is a rear engined lakester. I was thinking of converting it to drag racing car but it is just too heavy, it's not set up right  for drag racing and is much too hard to get in and out of. So this winter I'm going to order a kit from Mark Williams and build a FED. I'm too old to be a seriously competitive racer I just want to go out on weekends, bracket race and have some fun. If Bonneville ends up a go for the year I can switch the engine back and forth in less than a day. My question is mostly the transmission. I don't want the engine sitting back in my lap so I'll go with something other than a shortie  transmission. Would you use a power glide or something with three speeds, I only intend to be on 1/8 mile tracks. Also do I really need a transbrake or can I foot brake it and  be consistent? What do you think of using the LS3 all aluminum engine for this application? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
Re: Need advice with new build with LS 3 engine
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 01:05:44 PM »
Yes, I think you would have a great time racing your alum BBC in a FED. There are some used FED around that you could buy cheaper than building unless you want the pain and the pleasure of build your own. Neil & Parks in KS builds the lightest FED, and they will sell a kit for you to weld. I know of a beautiful light weight [ 1365 lb with driver, and all iron SBC] FED for sale near Sonoma Calif. The good thing about Bob's car is the motor is out 50" for a great balanced car easy to get "up" on the tire, and not much front end ballast. It's a complete runner just add your motor and Poweglide, and Bob can make your BBC mounts too. You will not be able to build a new car for double what he wants for it.
I know of another roller that's a little older, and currently running an all iron early Hemi, that he only wants $10k for it, but it's in Oklahoma, a bit farther for you than Sonoma.
Call me 805-444-4489, if you want anymore info or options. Because I make and sell front wire wheels for dragsters, I talk to racers all over the country.
Jon Hansen, JrFuel Dragster Association 
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline sawdawg

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: Bonneville 160mph
  • Your Engine: LS3
  • Your Track: Madras, Or.
  • Your Vehicle: Bonneville lakester
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »
I like to build my own cars, one because I need something to keep me occupied because I'm retired, two I have all the equipment, tig welder, tube bender , notchers, english wheel. I like the process of building. The lakester I did all the work including  the aluminum skin work. If I don't end the day with grinding dust on my face I feel left out. I know it will cost a little more but I enjoy the process, plus I like standing next to the car and answering questions. I like to say yes I built the whole thing. I'm not talking major horsepower here, the engine is an LS3 crate motor of 525hp. I'm 70 years old and started to think that at least with drag racing i'm only going half the speed of Bonneville. That's something I keep telling my wife...."drag racing is so much safer"

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:40:30 PM »
You can get good advice on transmissions here.  Dan Dishon's Transmission Den http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

You can get good advice on engines here. Matt Shaff's Engine Shop http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php/board,26.0.html

"I'm too old to be a seriously competitive race" if you say that you will not be, think the other way, your full of experience and skill, you will beat the youngsters.

" I only intend to be on 1/8 mile tracks", "Would you use a power glide or something with three speeds" you will barely have time for two speeds on an 1/8 mile track

"do I really need a transbrake or can I foot brake it and  be consistent"  this can be argued both ways, put the transbrake in and you have the option if you want it.

" i'm only going half the speed of Bonneville" how fast were you going? I'm one of the slow pokes here and I do 145 in the 1/8

Welcome
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:42:07 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/