Author Topic: No 2nd or 3rd ?  (Read 3564 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
No 2nd or 3rd ?
« on: August 15, 2015, 01:08:24 AM »
Howdy. I've recently converted a 727 clutchflight to a conventional transmission using a converter. The clutchflight had been sitting for a while but was a new built and unused transmission. Now effectively I've swapped the case and pump but I only have first and reverse. I've checked line pressure and it's virtually non existent. The pump is new and the valve body was a ok when we spilt it to check. Any thoughts?

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
Re: No 2nd or 3rd ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 03:55:40 AM »
Is this going in a FED or Altered? If it is are you sure you want a Torqueflite that close to your feet or legs?

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 05:58:32 AM »
What valve body are you using? Is it a full manual? Reverse or standard pattern? Have moved the shifter through all postions while running it on stands? I don't know of any current 727 valvebodies made that require case or pump modifications, but I'm unsure about the valvebodies used in a clutch flight application. Back in the days of the clutch/automatic hy-brid day builders were doing some strange things to make stuff work. I would swap in a known good valvebody and see what you get. With the valvebody controlling the shifting and pressure regulation in a 727 this would be the first step.

Hope this helps, Dan

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 04:11:34 AM »
The answer is obvious if you think about it. The valve body has no provision for oil supply to the converter. Slip a trans go shift kit into a spare valve body and I should be ready to test on Sunday