Author Topic: Spud please help us  (Read 5233 times)

Offline Pat Johnson

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50 1/4 mile Super Comp dragster & Super Gas
  • Your Track: Portland Int Rcwy, / Woodburn Raceway Ore
  • Your Vehicle: None right now< Honorary Crew Member Bay's & Rupert F/C
Spud please help us
« on: August 11, 2015, 10:44:08 AM »
Hi Spud, after all of our conversations,e-mails, and what you have told us, we still cannot get motor to fire up, Iam very frusterated at this point , I put in a call to you yesterday, you were doing something, I talked to Stephanie and told, that we really need your help, if we need to bring the car to you and figure out this problem, Still washing cylinders and plugs out, wont fire, we had the mag set to 40 degrees timing , plugs gapped at 16 and nothing seems like it wants to fire but nothing, fulds out everything, we went back to 35 degrees timing and same thing, we went from a 105 pill to a 120 pill  and same thing, We dont have a flippn clue at this time and want to go racing, can't get my license in a car that don't run , Spud we really need your help ASAP, please call me, Pat Johnson at 503-812-1172, thank's Spud , This is really important to me to make this happen.

dreracecar

Re: Spud please help us
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »
Make sure you dont have 2 jets stacked in the holder

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Hi Spud, after all of our conversations,e-mails, and what you have told us, we still cannot get motor to fire up, Iam very frusterated at this point , I put in a call to you yesterday, you were doing something, I talked to Stephanie and told, that we really need your help, if we need to bring the car to you and figure out this problem, Still washing cylinders and plugs out, wont fire, we had the mag set to 40 degrees timing , plugs gapped at 16 and nothing seems like it wants to fire but nothing, fulds out everything, we went back to 35 degrees timing and same thing, we went from a 105 pill to a 120 pill  and same thing, We dont have a flippn clue at this time and want to go racing, can't get my license in a car that don't run , Spud we really need your help ASAP, please call me, Pat Johnson at 503-812-1172, thank's Spud , This is really important to me to make this happen.

Does it run at all for a little with gas squirted in the stacks?

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »

Pat,

Last time we talked you discovered that you had the secondary and main check valve switched. That would cause the problem you were seeing.

Still problems? That wasn't it?  I'll call this afternoon. We've been over and over everything...not sure what I can do for you over the phone but we'll cover it all again.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 02:58:02 PM »
Possibly a drawing might be helpful?

Offline fedonnitro

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: Not reached yet!
  • Your Track: NorthStar, Texas Motorplex, Texas Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 206" Blown/Injected FED
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »
Pat,
I never saw where you said if it would fire on gas. If it will and you have checked everything else these guys have mentioned then try new alky. We had went to a race years ago and had gotten low on our fuel amount. I didn't have time to get another drum ordered and bought some at the track we were racing at because we had a test session scheduled the middle of the week. Got to the other track and put the "new" fuel in and it would run on the squirt bottle but not on the pump. Started checking everything but couldn't find anything obvious. After about 2 hours of frustration and lots of discussion we decided the only thing we changed was alky. Bought 5 gallons at this track and the darn thing finally fired after putting in a new set of plugs. They were gas washed too bad to run right. Hope you find what is causing your problem.

Carl

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »

After talking on the phone and checking some things, it appears as if the main check valve was jammed/stuck shut. So, it was drowning with 20 PSI idle fuel pressure (the secondary check valve regulating it through the metering valve spool feed hole). When the throttle was opened at all, that bleed hole was closed off and ALL of the fuel was going in the motor. I'm assuming things are fixed now. Maybe he can give us details...

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions