Author Topic: Motor will not fire,keep having to prime 80a pump ? Plugs keep washing out, Help  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Pat Johnson

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50 1/4 mile Super Comp dragster & Super Gas
  • Your Track: Portland Int Rcwy, / Woodburn Raceway Ore
  • Your Vehicle: None right now< Honorary Crew Member Bay's & Rupert F/C
Hey Spud, thanks for talking to me today, Iam so flippn frustrated, I did exactly what u told us to do, tried firing it up on gas only, then fuel pump would not get any alky to hat, tried too prime pump manually, seems like the fuel we added too the line went right back through return line. Set plugs too 16 degrees from 18 degrees, have good spark but nothing. too upset right not , cannot get ahold of my motot builder to get cam card for information, were lost and don't have a clue, 3 steps forward 5 steps flippn back, frusterated in Tillamook, your friend and customer Pat.

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
Hang in there Pat. Give us a little more info. does it fire at all?

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
Hang in there Pat. Give us a little more info. does it fire at all?

This ^.

Our hobby is both challenging and rewarding. If we wanted an easy one, we could do golf or bird watching.

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
If the plugs are washing out then you're priming too much. Take the plugs out and spin the motor to clean out the cylinders then I normally spray the plugs with brake cleaner, blow them dry then re-install them.

Mine's a blown application and my fire up procedure is to open the fuel shut off, spin the motor for oil pressure, give it a good single squirt then try to fire it which it normally does right away. My car is self-starting so opening the fuel shut off before building up the oil pressure is important.

Is the pump above or below the fuel tank fuel level? My fuel pump is below the normal fuel level so the pump inlet line gets filled as soon as I put fuel in the tank. If you're self-starting and the pump is above the normal fuel level, it may take longer to get fuel into the pump.

Is the fuel shut off open? Sounds like a silly question but I've done it before.

You say you're getting spark, have you checked the ignition timing? I've been known to try and start my motor with the mag 180 degrees off, it didn't fire.

Does the motor start then die or just nothing?

dreracecar

Is the pump rotating in the right direction? cover could be 180* out and pumping in reverse
Fresh new pump?
fresh pump from a guy at the swapmeet?
Has the motor ever ran?
Is it blown or straight up injected?
any pictures to look at?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:41:04 PM by dreracecar »

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed

my friends fed is had to start the first time after the tank has been emptied the best  way was to jack-up the front higher than the pump after that it starts first shot.