Author Topic: Mag plug gaps  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Demon408

• View Profile
  • Your Track: SIR
  • Your Vehicle: 1982 Trans Am
Mag plug gaps
« on: July 19, 2015, 07:20:21 PM »
Hello all, with a super mag 3 and a N/A engine, I found that closing the plug gaps to say 18-20 is worse than 35. I opened them up to 35 and starts better and runs mph it should. Is a tighter gap just a requirement for blown set ups? NGK #8 plugs also. Are the MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires the right ones to be using. I am running a tach and rev limiter. just curious as im new to alky injection and these magnetos

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: Mag plug gaps
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »
Maybe not ideal for all combos.I normally run .028 to .032 range.Compression and cam timing have lot to do with it. Cranking compression basically function of those two will determine how much pressure its trying to fire against. Of coarse timing and mag strength.So basicaly like most thing in racing engine its all about the combo.
Start at .035 since its working better. Drop to .030 see how it likes it.You're not going to see huge change most of time,its more of small gains add up to big change thing. just my 2 cent and I maybe charging too much.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Demon408

• View Profile
  • Your Track: SIR
  • Your Vehicle: 1982 Trans Am
Re: Mag plug gaps
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
Running 14.5-1 and seems to like that 40 degrees (468 BBC) I plugs seem to look like there is some heat there they have a bit of colour on them so I am presuming im not to lean actually I think I am sitting on the fat side. I guess if the plugs are not a set at their optimal gap that could have some affect on the burning of the fuel in cylinders.