Author Topic: Vertex Mag and Moroso cable driven mechanical rev limiter  (Read 4893 times)

Ponti

Vertex Mag and Moroso cable driven mechanical rev limiter
« on: July 11, 2015, 04:03:02 PM »
Hi Spud,

Wondering if you could help me. I have seen a Vertex mag with the mech rev limiter, what I would like to know is how does the rev limiter work and would it be able to/ or would it work on a Supercharged engine??

Regards
Andrew

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: Vertex Mag and Moroso cable driven mechanical rev limiter
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:09:46 AM »

There are several different types of rev limiters...I'm not sure which you are referring to. The only "mechanical" limiter I know of is a PSI and it doesn't work on a Vertex unless you do a band clamp conversion on the mag. Currently, we're fixing folks up with a crank trigger pickup to monitor engine speed and then using a special relay and RPM switch to limit revs on Vertex, Super-Mag and Sprintmags.

Any rev limiter is going to simply remove sparks randomly...that's how they work. So, pretty much ANY rev limiter is going to be safe for virtually any supercharged or naturally aspirated engine on gas or methanol.

The only time when a rev limiter would NOT be safe for an engine is if it were ingesting HUGE quantities (volume, not percentage) of nitromethane and then amount of liquid in the cylinder could cause physical issues if the fuel went unburned.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Ponti

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 02:42:39 PM »
Hi Spud I'm watching this on Ebay, but didn't know how the Limiter would work

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331602765500?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards
Andrew

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:22:07 AM »

Interesting! I've never seen or heard of such a contraption.

Spud

Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:45:48 AM »
So Spud, The question I have is this--

Engine RPMs under race load "comming" up to limiter setting, "hits the chip" and the ignition scrambles allowing driver to adjust off of the "CHIP"

Engine RPMs under race load comming up to limiter settings (1000' mark) and the input shaft in the trans breaks allowing the release of the stored energy.  At that moment of breakage, how does the R-L contain the rpms and not allow them to overrun the chip at that moment of breakage?

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 07:05:27 AM »

I'm sure it would overrun the chip a little. Most rev limiters would have the ignition completely off by a couple of hundred RPM above the set limit so I don't think it would wing too far. Much better than nothing at all.

Spud

Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions