Author Topic: Making that first run in your new car  (Read 11070 times)

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Making that first run in your new car
« on: June 21, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »
 On the subject of that first run, please do not try to rotate the earth and set low et of the world the first time you go down the track. Make a moderate run to make sure that everything works as it should. This weekend I watched a brand new car from a very reputable chassis builder totally get away from the driver partially because he tried to make a full hit on his first run in the car. When it shook he punched high gear as he had done with good results in his previous car. For whatever reason the car was instantly totally out of control and it changed lanes and made heavy contact with the wall, first with the front end and then in a hard side impact.  Add to the package the fact that the team had been thrashing to get the motor finished and the car to the event so everyone, including the driver, was tired to the point that a crew member ended up a little beat up due to a simple incident while they were warming the car.
  At this event (the Bowling Green NHRR) the weather was iffy and I can understand the pressure to try to get a run in but it was an all run first round for eliminations so simply staging the car and making a moderate lap would have put the car in the show. Now it needs a front half (at least) and the driver was exceedingly lucky to be able to walk away as I have seen people injured in less violent impacts.
  I am sure that there are photos of the incident out there on the net but I did not get home from the event until 4:30 am and am still trying to catch up. If someone can find them and post a link you will see how quickly one of these cars can get into a bad situation, and how much worse this one might have been.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
Re: Making that first run in your new car
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 09:36:33 AM »
Lots of wisdom being shared, thanks Rooman   I personally would never take a new car to anything other than a test & tune & make a few easy runs to start out.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »
Yea keeping that driver ego in check can save money and your butt at times. Not knocking anyone but racing smart is always best bet.

I have seen simular things dne with welll tuned car.Nothing looks worst than legging out a already dead run and tearing up lots of good equpiment.

This is very reason I plan on doing 2 or 3 hits each farthuer down track before doing hammer down run.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 12:18:46 PM »
Great advice there. I was very blessed when I made my first shakedown passes to have a track to myself and the track owner (an ex TF FED pilot) there to coach me. 5-6 partials before I felt comfortable running a full pass. My previous race car was a mid 12 second door car.

That car was destroyed when a driver was flown in for a race in an altered he had never been in, and tried to make a full pass in a car that had some safety issues and he ended up crossing into our lane and bounced off the guardrail.

It might not just be your car you are saving by starting out gradually.
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

Offline Nitro hillbilly

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Thorn hill
  • Your Vehicle: My feet
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
I seen the wreck this weekend also. It could have been WAY WORSE! If it would have went over the wall it could have been really bad. My buddy has spent the last couple of weeks painting the car and never got a picture with it together. We where going to do it after that pass. So if anybody has any pictures could you please send them to me. Unfortunate Lessons learned.

Offline KennyB

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Indy Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: 1956 Chevy Handyman wagon
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 06:35:15 AM »
If you do Facebook, Don Ewald had a few shots of the accident. Too bad it happened.

Offline grapro

• View Profile
  • Your Track: edmonton
  • Your Vehicle: 184" FED
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 10:45:42 AM »
Attention taken, I was lucky enough to do my first passes in my new car this weekend. I was out at a local track here in Alberta Canada called Medicine Hat. I had already had all my medical stuff done for my license to make sure I would be fine in the car. I went out for a weekend of testing and tuning and was a bit intimidated at first, new guy in a new car but the guys at the track made me feel alright. I started my first run off with just a launch only and a run down track at mid power. I was totally amazed how the car hooked up it  caught me off guard, been through it lots of times in a door car but nothing like this  and I even forgot to shift at first, too many things running through my head at first. Went back to the pits and a couple of racers and track officials came by and asked how it was and proceeded to give me a tonne of pointers on what I should do. Made me feel real good and put my head in another place. Second run another launch and good full power run for a hundred yards or so, it felt good made it into second gear and was happy all went well. Fellow racers come by and we went over the run and more comments and pointers and they said see how I feel and maybe think about licensing if it goes well but only drive as I feel comfortable if it doesn't feel right don't do it, back out there always is another time. Third run was a good launch full power just past half and it was amazing how it felt, Everyone was  happy with the pass.  We were getting ready for the next pass and had a problem with start up, my reverse lockout wasn't working and it shut us down for the night. Spent most of the night running through what I had to do on start up and how to calm down and we headed off to the track and got all set up and went to test the emergency shutdown and the brand new switch didn't work. ending up taking it apart and repaired it and we were ready to run again. Totally last all my calmness I built up from the night before.  Third run and it felt good stayed into it about 2/3's down the track nice shutdown and everything. Now for the final two passes and flat out if I wanted to get my license. Lots of coaching and comment from the drivers watching me but always telling me to just go as long as it feels right and to back off if I'm not comfortable. I got to staging cleared the first light took a deep breath and inched ahead and watched the second yellow and when the last yellow hit I was on it and went flat out , it felt amazing and it went down the track beautifully nice feeling and before I knew it was shutdown. Final run same thing thought about what everyone told me and concentrated took my breaths between the lights and nailed it took off amazing got a bit squirrely and was just going to let off and the car straightened out and ran down the rest of the track like arrow. Not too fast but my last two full runs were at 10.23 and 10.27 but at our altitude the local racers said that it would be fine for the licensing. So a couple of them and the track official allowing me to have the completed paperwork for my license. Roo I totally understand how it could go crazy, all my runs I limited my rpm to 6000 had a lot more to go but I wanted to come home in one piece for fathers day. I think the mental part of racing about getting every thing inline in your head is a lot more important than just acting like a macho dude and nailing it and showing off to every and putting people in danger. It was a amazing weekend and as from this forum and the fellow racers that helped me out this weekend the best thing that I learnt is the time you are too old to listen to someone offering help is the time you are too old to race. Thanks again to You and everyone else offering help all the time on this forum.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 02:11:38 PM »
I found this on Facebook ! Was it Bob Lombardie ? I don't know him personally but I do know he has been doing this for a while so it just goes to show you that even an experienced driver can get in trouble too!I hope he is ok !     

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 02:59:34 PM »
 Another note on first shots. Some times you can go too easy on leave. Did this with TA/FC and shook half brain out left ear hole. Found out you had to leave hard and then back out(slowly). Now with NA car thats probable not a issue.

I remember first time I dropped hammer on TA/D. Man by 300 feet I was thinking do I want to hold this thing down or not. Heck I am the crazy guy in most any crowd. First 5 times it was like warp drive on star trak. By 10th run its like Sunday drive at 240 mph.

I always go with gut.If it feels wrong it probably is. I tell any new driver if uncomforstable shut it down,if anyone has any thing to say send them my way. Never really been a problem most drivers appreciate non stupid driver taking their time.Its the billy bad a-- that most can't stand.

I hate the man crashed newcar I hate it even more that it has our colors on it. especailly with me getting closer to making smoke and noise.

Good to hear driver did seem to be hurt.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 11:33:33 AM »
Another note on first shots. Some times you can go too easy on leave. Did this with TA/FC and shook half brain out left ear hole. Found out you had to leave hard and then back out(slowly). Now with NA car thats probable not a issue.

I remember first time I dropped hammer on TA/D. Man by 300 feet I was thinking do I want to hold this thing down or not. Heck I am the crazy guy in most any crowd. First 5 times it was like warp drive on star trak. By 10th run its like Sunday drive at 240 mph.

I always go with gut.If it feels wrong it probably is. I tell any new driver if uncomforstable shut it down,if anyone has any thing to say send them my way. Never really been a problem most drivers appreciate non stupid driver taking their time.Its the billy bad a-- that most can't stand.

I hate the man crashed newcar I hate it even more that it has our colors on it. especailly with me getting closer to making smoke and noise.

Good to hear driver did seem to be hurt.
    Shook half of your brains out ! Now I understand !!!!

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 11:59:35 AM »
"Good Judgement" is probably the best attribute a driver can have.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 02:28:14 PM »
Bill,

I hate it  when I don't have a bookie to take my bets. just lost a million I would have bet on comment from you on that. Why else would I be building new car ground up?

Plus remember comments about Ed on drr being the same and we must be kin somewhere down the line. Guess that explained two things.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 02:30:02 PM by wideopen231 »

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 04:00:32 PM »
I'm currently going through my licensing process and on a couple of runs, I was told by track officials that a run would not count because I pedaled the car when it got sideways due to bad track, apparently it's better to cross the centerline or crash than letting up on a license pass, who would have thought?

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 04:31:57 PM »
Funny thats 100% oppisite of what I got for lifting after getting car straightened out so as not to have it settle dwon aimed the wrong way on track. Stupid me I thought correctinga 275" sideways car out showed good handling and shutting down under control good judgement.

IMO you did right thing. Any idiot can hold throttle down. Takes a driver to save the car instead of his ego taking over

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 04:52:59 PM »
Good Advice guys, another reason to take it in steps as suggested and insisted by driving schools, is your eyes are lens, and your ears are microphones to your brain, so your brain/computer needs to upgrade it's software so it can get caught up to all that new input coming at it that fast. Most drivers that drove a quick/fast dragster for the 1'st time maybe drove a fast door car , but not too many have ever driven a 9 second race car. So let your software upgrade your brain for all that new input coming faster than anything it's seen before.
And yes, each time down the track you will feel more in control, you will have less visual distortions. Shut-her down if you even have a hint the car is ahead of you.
My 1'st time driving a FED C/D it all happened too fast. now that was in 1962, with a flagman, and before VHT was even invented.
Each run after the first run I felt more in control, to the point I could pick which cone I wanted to shut it off.
One of my new JrFuel guys has been building his early Hemi on a Pro-stock truck block [ Real Trick combo] drove an A/FD about 10 or 15 years ago, so he figured a JF car would be easy. He has taken his car down the track 5 or 6 times, but not to the finish line, yet, and I think his JrFuel is leaving much harder than his A Fuel can did 10-15 years ago. i know our JF car can run 60 foots 1.01 to 1.06.
So lesson here is to take it easy and in steps.  And don't have your tune-up set on kill, you want laps, seat time, so you can help decide on changes to improve your performance.

Have Fun and race Smart.
Jon Hansen
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels