Author Topic: Front Tires  (Read 20885 times)

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Front Tires
« on: June 17, 2015, 05:43:37 PM »
Went through tech inspection here at Hot Rod Reunion Bowling Green.

They were unhappy with my treaded front tires because they did not say racing on them.

They did let me pass as they did not say MoPed or limited to 30 MPH on them.

Member of this forum did not pass as his said 30MPH.

I would like to keep the nostalgic look of treaded front tires, but will be going to the New England Hot Rot Reunion and do not want to have a problem with Inspection there.

Suggestions?

2.25 X 17
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: Front Tires
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 06:56:39 PM »
Lets see front tires for a FED. Hayden wheels,willing to bet Jon can help.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline MikenMpls

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 408 dart little m block and Iron Eagle heads
  • Your Track: Cameron, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 205" FED
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 07:32:51 PM »
You raced last year at Bowling Green with these same tires yes?

Offline JakeB23

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 08:07:20 PM »
Glenn, should you have a picture of your front tire tread, that would help me tremendously right now.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »
Lets see front tires for a FED. Hayden wheels,willing to bet Jon can help.

I'm hoping he will jump in.

You raced last year at Bowling Green with these same tires yes?

Yes these are the same tires I have been racing since the start. They have never been questioned before.

Glenn, should you have a picture of your front tire tread, that would help me tremendously right now.

Please see below
Glenn R. Lever

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »
take a belt sander to the speed warning .............. no dont do that ....

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 08:46:21 PM »
I run these from Jon Hayden

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 08:58:50 PM »
Unless the tires are cracked or cord is showing, have the tech guy show you in the rules for your class that the tires must have or be racing tires. Don't get an additude,like me, but ask him to show you in your book so you may hilight it for future reference. Primary tire for the fronts were Avon speed masters and did not say racing on them. Don't have my book handy but went thru this with a customer out here., nowhere in the current NHRA book or the heritage suplimant does it require that the fronts must be racing type
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:01:58 PM by dreracecar »

dreracecar

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 09:45:20 PM »
Just looked up the rules concerning front tires within the Heritage series, Falls under general regs 5.1 & 5.2 as applys to any NE Class and Jr Fuel and that reg does not mandate racing front tires. Now 7.0pro states manufactured  racing tires but does not specify front tires also as does the spec for  Fuel and Funny mandating front tires designed for racing.
Some tech guys are just clueless and why I always carry bail money.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 12:01:15 AM »
Bruce at dreracecar is correct, no rule in the NHRA rule book as to race tires only. But I have run into problem if the tire says max 30 mph. A few years ago I had a customer wanted the Very lightest tire wheel set-up, and at that time the lightest tire available was Michelin with a uni-tread design. He was very happy, but when he was getting tech at a Comp Elim race he was told he could not race with those Moped tires. Well I didn't notice the sidewall said max 60 mph, I was just looking for a light tire for him. They made him buy some front runners, and said they were going to check on speed rated tires. Well the fact is NOT Even the front slicks have any speed rating on the side walls As a matter-a-fact, I have seen some 170 mph rated motorcycle tires tested, it was rear motorcycle tire. The speed rating is about sustained speed, like 170 mph for AN HOUR. You see, tires are created and destroyed by heat. All of our drag racing front tires don't build any heat [ unless way under inflated] because of at least 35 lbs of pressure and not run very long.

The only time I've had to replace a front tire for a racer was a N/TF with a good size front wing and he was only running 40 lbs, but the wing added enough down force to flex the side walls and it chunked his Goodyear Front Runner. I told him to run at least 65 #, the big show top fuel run 80 to 100 lbs with their Big wings.
It was just last year that one of my customers was told he couldn't race with "those Motorcycle" wheels & tires. So I called NHRA Tech and they asked if I could send them a sample to check-out, so I told them better yet I would bring them a sample to the NHRA office. You see, they had not seen my customers wheel tire combo before, 21" wheel and tire to run Top Dragster, he wanted more roll-out [ a head start on the lights] the tire was 27 1/2" tall were as the normal 17" is more like 22". The taller tire works well on a full tree, no advantage with a Pro tree. Anyway, I included a note that said even before Don Garlits, ALL wire wheels on dragsters were ALL motorcycle wheels. I also pointed out the NHRA rule book says min .100 wire spoke dia, and no missing spokes, the only other limit is wire spoke wheels are not allowed on a car over 1800 lbs, with out driver. So NHRA approved my wheels and tires. when the tech guy back east said they were going to look into the speed rating issue, I think they gave up because no door cars much less dragsters had speed rated tires. Can you imagine they up rising if all door cars had to run Funny car tires.
Glenn if you'd like a more correct nostalgia front tire call me I sell 2.25x17 RIB tires that look the most like Avon tire that started all the 17" front tire standard. i have those 17" rib tires on a few N/TF [ 250 mph] and a number of A/FD [ 220 mph]. Only problem is not checked tire pressure and no caps on the valve stems can push down on the valve and let the air out at speed.
I just shipped a new set of 17" wheels and tires overnight to a racer in Bowling Green because he was told he could not race with his "moped" 16" tires, but I think what he had was old 16" ChenShin uni-tread tires with a max speed on the sidewall. ChenShin has not imported any motorcycle/ moped street tires in about 6-7 years. 

Good Luck at the Hot Rod Reunion guys !
Jon Hansen
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 05:35:17 AM »
Just put a new set of Hoosier 22 X 2.5 X 17 on my FED. I resisted the urge to buy some really cheep fronts only after an old race buddy told me the "story" of one flying off and hitting him on the helmet @ 200 MPH  :o

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 05:55:45 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and good suggestions.

There is no speed limitations on the sides of my front tires.

When I get home it is time for new fronts anyway, and I will get the rule book out and highlight.

Will post tires I purchase
Glenn R. Lever

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 12:07:31 PM »
Digster, the only tire I have seen peal off of a wheel was a A/FD that the owner installed the tire, but only used electrical tape on the inside of the rim to protect the spokes/nipples from punching a hole in the inner tube, which of course is what happened. Anytime any tire goes flat you can have a problem. I use rubber rim strips or 2 turns of narrow duct tape especially when installing front runner type tires, because the front runners are very difficult to bead all the way up to the rim, and the rubber rim strip can get in the way.
Most if not all race track race tire companies will not install front runners on wire spoke wheels because they are difficult to bead up, but mostly because the only tire mounting equipment they have is for rear slicks. But a good motorcycle shop can mount and balance wire spoke wheels, just point out the spoke protector issue.
Even the picture of Cha-Cha's tire coming off was the result of a loss air pressure. One tip to point out, is make sure everyone uses a good valve stem cap, because at speed the valve can be pushed in and let the air out. I've seen that happen a few times too.
The reason a number of my customer like the rib tires, is the nostalgia look, less rotating friction [ less rubber on the track], lighter weight, and of course $130 less per tire. Of course I sell and install 17" Goodyear and Hoosier front runners, besides Kenda rib tires, and I sell some German made 18" tires too.
I hope this info clears-up some front tire questions.

Jon Hansen
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

dreracecar

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 02:35:31 PM »
Never seen a MPH limit on cycle tires (doesnt mean there isnt) but more towards space saver spares and moble home trailer tires because they are cheap.

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 03:02:33 PM »
 S&W Racecars is where I have gotten mine.  Ribbed tire. Brand are Kenda. They have tubes as well.

DRAGSTER FRONT TIRE
90-131
2.50 x 17 dragster treaded front tire
Reg. Price:
$32.00
if you need to Hate target Laziness