Author Topic: HI SPEED LEAN OUT--DO I NEED ONE?  (Read 9216 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
HI SPEED LEAN OUT--DO I NEED ONE?
« on: June 03, 2015, 08:42:12 AM »
ok...new car 355 SBC, enderle pump, Hilborn stack on alky--everything is running great! Car starts easy, idles as good as any stack, runs same et almost every pass--running mid 5's in the 1/8th All Good!! I am not running a high speed lean out--Should I run one--do I need one?? How much will it help?? I like leaving well enough alone but...don't want to leave any big gain on the table--run 1/4 pretty rare--mostly 1/8th
Car runs cool as a cuke--can even drive it back if i don't play around--so i am guessing it is on the fat side
Just knocking some of the plating off NGK plugs around the ends--not up on the threads any
what to do? how to go about setting it and checking it--dialing it in ??
THANKS!!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: HI SPEED LEAN OUT--DO I NEED ONE?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:49:47 AM »

Give this a read and see what you think...

http://www.fuelinjectionent.com/highspeedheroics.php

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline afuelcoupe

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.76 @251 mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: woodburn
  • Your Vehicle: fuel coupe
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
short answer no you dont need one and would be better off without it.....

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 09:44:03 AM »
Frank would say no, but that you would have a driver operated lean-out for that top end push to take the stripe.  If you are running a combination where you are launching at 6500 rpm or more, you would already be on the Hi-speed in most cases.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 10:31:31 AM »
With most setups its not really needed.  Leaving around 6000 and shifting in mid 7000's your system will be  in narrow pressure range.It would be open full time so basically just same as basic system. A manual can be effective for little extra on topend,but only if system is little rich to start.Plus its not going to make a big jump like say a nitrous system would.

I have one designed into my system ,but its for building heat before run. Also have richening effect for cooling it and one for enrichment for nitrous setup at later date.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 04:50:03 PM »
The best answer is.....It depends

If you've ever dyno'd an engine with and without the hi speed, you'd be impressed with what you can get. May not apply to all combinations, but you might be surprised. Very easy to figure out the hi speed on the engine dyno.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 06:03:02 AM »
I found the dyno to be an interesting way to break in an engine. I never found the dyno results on the track. I was told by a few racers the dyno will load the motor harder than the track. I believe if I could spend days playing on the dyno there might be a gain in tuning knowledge. Just my 2 cts.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 08:41:43 AM »
Worlds best and most accurate dyno is 660 or 1320 feet long. I have had guys that dynoed motor picked up power and slowed down on track. Maybe the load. I do agree it can teach you few things,just not to live or die by.

I have always just made change(1 at a time) and recorded effect it had on track  of coarse conditions come into play. With high speed its easy to A-B-A test.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 11:38:57 AM »
In head to head competition, I have never seen a dyno win a drag race yet

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 12:08:13 PM »
The dyno is just like the computer....the information it gives you is up to the user to figure out if the info is good or bad and how to use it. Higher horsepower doesn't always equal higher performance. And making dyno pulls isn't just about getting the highest number, it's about gaining information. Sometimes it's different info than can be learned on the track that you can combine with your on track info to be a better competitor in your class.

As far as a hi speed is concerned, I'll stand by my original answer because it depends on to many variables.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 01:14:56 PM »
You guy's are right ! I have never seen a dyno win a race but the ones with the most horse power usually do ! We dyno my friends comp motors at the same shop every time so we know if one is better than another . We can also try different things like valve lash and cam timing and know right away if it is better or worse . Just my 2 cents !

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 08:15:07 PM »
I have a High Speed lean out on my motor is a help. But it is an Enderle hat and it may be different than yours and not much help on some. On the difference between dyno and track there are a few things different and you have to compensate for them.  What I did was set up my injection on the dyno and I used the O2 sensors once I got the best performance on the dyno. Now when you get to the track you have forced air into the hat and it will need a little more fuel which will give you better performance. But you are still shooting for same numbers on the O2 sensors.

Point is the dyno is a great tool to help you get the best ET but remember the goal is still ET and not dyno numbers. You can learn things in one day on the dyno that may take you months at the track.