Author Topic: why a magneto  (Read 4352 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
why a magneto
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:28:50 AM »
Why I run a mag instead of 10 piece ignition system.

I have noticed a ton of post on other sites about this that and something else ignition problems. This coild,this box has these issues or pickup could be this. With maneto its either working or not.Its the mag or coil. K.I.S.S..  Funny thing in the bracket worls its almost taboo to use a magneto. Then 20 years ago so was mechanical fuel injection,now half the field has some sort of FI.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
Re: why a magneto
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:04:07 AM »
This question has been beat to death here. Several other threads with the same question(s).

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:01:20 AM »
Not really a question. Guess title misleading. Its more of observation as to simplicity of a mag.

Maybe need to change to why run anything else?
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 11:27:58 AM »
 Couldn't agree with you more. Then you see some of the birds nest wiring jobs - yikes. I have a Vertex so it has one wire and a toilet type injector so it has one supply line and one return. That's about my level of complexity lol

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 12:08:21 PM »
Never said fuel system couldn't be complicated or should I say complicated looking. I am notorious for adding abunch of do nothing stuff to fuel system and sit back and watch folks try to figure out WTH I am doing. Did it lots with Funnycar.When your qualifing in top half every week and winning races folks are always trying to see what  you did and a bunch of extra lines just draws their attention away from anything that really helped. Like numatic lean/richen valves.