Author Topic: Thank you and front axle bracket question.  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Mark Morey

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 10.00 (1/4)
  • Your Track: Byron Dragway, Byron Illinois
  • Your Vehicle: In between racecars right now
Thank you and front axle bracket question.
« on: April 12, 2015, 06:06:47 PM »
Thank you RooMan and everyone else for the great insights and information on this board.  I'm beginning to lay out my first front engine dragster build and have a question.  I'm planning on a 160" sort of period correct mid '60s car with a small block Chevy & 'glide combo.  I plan on using a front end design similar to Don Long's back in the day - 4 radius rods that are parallel with the steering arm on a similar arc with them.  My question comes where the torsion arm attaches to the front axle, I believe it is slotted so the arc it swings on doesn't bind with the radius rod and steering arm arc.  Is this arrangement simply a 3/8" bolt through the .125 thick, 4130 brackets (double shear) with simple slots milled in them or is that slot beefed up and a larger bolt used?  I'm thinking that this slot is not real long but I haven't laid it out on CAD yet to see what it looks like through its whole motion. Does this sound right?  Thank you in advance for your advice on this.  -Mark Morey

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Thank you and front axle bracket question.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:06:18 AM »
Mark,
       you are correct about the slot. My car has the original 1969 configuration which is a 5/16" bolt. The axle bracket is .063" with .250" spacing and the arm is .187". The slot is .875" long overall. All a bit small for this day and age. The slot is longer than is necessary for the actual motion but allows for some castor adjustment without things getting into a bind.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 08:50:28 AM »
The other thing about the torsion are is that the slot itself is offset so that there is more "meat" on the top where most of the load is then the bottom where the material just acts more as a retainer.

Offline Mark Morey

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 10.00 (1/4)
  • Your Track: Byron Dragway, Byron Illinois
  • Your Vehicle: In between racecars right now
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 03:15:40 AM »
Thanks for the info.  My UPS man is liking me, I have parts rolling in for the project.  Can't wait to get started. 

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:18:24 AM »
Correction Mark. UPS man is hating you he is having to work for that $300 plus a hour paycheck. I know buddy of mine delivers forb them,union guys hate to work too hard for big check.LMAO
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »
Not all Union guys are bad don't stereotype us I work my ass off for my wage!

But back on subject here is the front axle set up on my dads gate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk