Author Topic: Mild Steel chassis  (Read 8873 times)

Offline bigblockrik

• View Profile
  • Your Track: edgewater
  • Your Vehicle: fed
Mild Steel chassis
« on: February 15, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »
I found a 145'' wb mild steel car.New but never been finished.Just want something to play around with.Anything i should look for ? Thanks

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Mild Steel chassis
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 04:25:13 AM »
First, it needs to be cheap as it lacks resale value with so many 4130 cars readily available. Second, you need to have it sonic tested to make sure that it meets the specs, and finally you need to make sure that the basic construction layout will pass tech for the performance level that you plan to run it at. The wall thickness is critical as it is impossible to fix while any deficiencies in tube layout can be fixed (although at a cost that may kill the deal).

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 06:19:38 AM »
I have a mild steel car and have no issues with mine except I am stuck at 7.50 being the fastest I can go.  I really had no idea what I was getting into when I bought it but nothing wrong with a mild steel chassis if it is cheap and can pass tech.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:55:51 AM »
In my case, I'm still not certain whether my nostalgia FED (late 60's, early 70's?) is mild steel or chrome-moly.

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 08:55:19 AM »
Anything i should look for ? Thanks

Possably another chassie,  A chassie is about the cheapset part of the whole package, so why start off with a bad foundation. Moly is not that expensive for that size car verses what one has to go thru for a legal mild steel car.Have it checked out by a NHRA cert tech before wasting any money even if its only a couple hundred dollars.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 10:27:37 AM »
If you're happy with a car that won't cert for anything quicker than 7.50, make the sale dependent on the car passing cert. If the guys not interested in that, walk away.

There's nothing extra to "go thru" for a legal mild steel car if it was built to cert. And it could make a nice car for a guy that just wants to go out and have fun.

Is this a bare chassis or is there a pile of parts that may sweeten the deal? If there was a bunch of usable parts (front end, rear end, steering, etc) and the price was right, it might be worth building or having built a certifiable chassis.

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
Just because car wont cert to a quick class the requires cert , the car STILL must me minimum spec's otherwise people would build cars out of conduit to run 12 sec

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 11:13:46 AM »
Just because car wont cert to a quick class the requires cert , the car STILL must me minimum spec's otherwise people would build cars out of conduit to run 12 sec

Who said anything about that?

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Easy guys
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

dreracecar

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 12:48:32 PM »
Nothing concerning what you posted, but a lot of new people comming over to this site( by the questions that people post) that do not understand the way things are done today, they still beleive its 1965. All cars slower than 10 sec must be built to 7.50-10.0 specs, they just dont have to get it inspected----YET !

Offline bigblockrik

• View Profile
  • Your Track: edgewater
  • Your Vehicle: fed
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 07:44:08 AM »
The car is up and rolling complete steering torsion front 9'' rear no brake or throttle in it yet thats a good thing so i can fit it to me.Havent seen it in person yet but by the pics it looks like it would be ok as long as the rest of the tubing is the right thickness.I will have to redo the helmet bars they were cobbed in the rest looks top notch.Nice aluminum rear body and floor and inner side panels.It has front wire wheels a chute already mounted probaly needs replaced.I am going to trade a little english car for it.Dont want to go to fast (yet) just something to play with.I will put some pics up when i can.Thanks Guys