Author Topic: Steerin' and Spools  (Read 9223 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Steerin' and Spools
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:43:51 PM »
Howdy
My home built early 1970's FED has what I beleve is an Anglia steering box and bell crank steering. Only about 1 1/4 turns lock to lock and very fast with the motor out - which is the same as saying very heavy with the motor in. Now I have a spool in the rear and around the yard at home in gravel it basically won't turn ('coz the spool  wants to push it straight). I haven't run this car yet but is it going to steer OK on a concrete track? Now I ran a FED 25 years ago with an open rear and it steered great.
Cheers
Tony

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Steerin' and Spools
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 05:42:05 AM »
Tony,
        the spool will definitely tend to fight any attempt to turn the car as opposed to an open rear. You may want to slow the steering down by changing the arm lengths on the bell crank. The SPE/Strange/Flaming River/ P & S  boxes are just shy of two turns (without any linkage restrictions). Try disconnecting the drag link from the pitman arm and check as to how much the box turns by itself.   Also check the geometry of the arms/links. Ideally the link should be at (or near) 90 degrees to the arm in the straight ahead position--this applies at all points in the system.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 08:17:07 AM »
Sure its going to push on a gravel surface, front tires have no traction and will slide. get on a hard track surface and it will steer fine, Remember when steering the car in the pits-only use the steering when the car is in motion, If the car is not moving and need to turn the steering do so by turning the front wheel(s)
 How much caster is in the front axle and what front tires are you useing?

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 04:41:20 AM »
I went for a little road test on a quite country back road last week-end and Man I hated the spool. I have pulled it and replaced it with a 4 pinion open nine inch centre that is shimmed a bit on the side gears and I'm going to feel a whole lot safer.
Cheers

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 04:58:29 AM »
I would feel a LOT safer with spool.In dragsteror any drag car I want to know both wheels are turning exactly the same .Hey theres more than one way to skin a cat.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »
Retro boy Years ago we ran open rears but those were un prepped tracks we did not make as much power and it was still dangerous then ! Most of the guy's that got hurt or killed from broken rears were from the pin breaking and coming through the housing . I hope some of the other guy's will chime in on this ! Please put the spool back in !

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 11:02:05 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said!!!   I would be scared to drive one without a spool.
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 04:20:11 AM »
I ran a car for the best part of a decade with an open Dana 44. That car is still going and has been in constant use never a problem with a couple of owners since. I have fitted a 4 pinion 9" centre and shimmed up the side gears and I ran it this arvo and I have to tell you it was a relief  to be able to steer. Nothing could ever make me consider a spool again. 
Cheers

dreracecar

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 01:23:39 PM »
If you can't steer with a spooled rear end, you have big issues elsewhere

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 07:30:34 AM »
In our Compcoupe we have an old Ross steering box and run a spool, 100 inch wheel base,, as long as the car is moving there's no problem steering,  Grass or gravel LOL

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 12:51:37 PM »
I have had door cars,dragsters up to TA/D, funny cars and a roadster.All had spools no driving issue at all.Then I never worried about driving in dirst or grass.

To each their own.I just know if told a car Iwas getting ready to climb into a hang the family jewels behind the rearend housing of had open rear.I would do 180 and say thanks but no thanks.I know guys use to it all of the time.Then they also ran rollbars with their heads out and above them.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »
If you can't steer with a spooled rear end, you have big issues elsewhere     Yup for sure.........it's your goat though!