Author Topic: On board primer system  (Read 7976 times)

Offline spitzerscott

• View Profile
    • Ogg Motorsports
  • Your Best Time: 5.73@118.80
  • Your Engine: 336 Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Osceola IN, Top Eliminator runs 1/8 mile
  • Your Vehicle: Spitzer225 RED, Alcohol SBC
  • General Location: Northern Indiana
On board primer system
« on: January 04, 2015, 07:41:22 AM »
I just added an on board primer system to my SB chevy, N/A, injected alcohol dragster.  I was curious as to what you guys used to prime with? I think the leftover alcohol in the distribution block and port lines will actually do the priming, so I was just going to use alcohol. I didn't know if guys used a gas/alky mix or straight gas, or if alky is fine.  Plumbed through an Enderle primer checkvalve into distribution block.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Re: On board primer system
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:01:08 AM »
Scott I use gasoline to prime mine . It will start a whole lot easier on gas . I use a Rons primer plus pump and a nozzle in the middle of my manifold . For a tank I use a JAZ 1 quart junior dragster tank . Very happy with it

Offline spitzerscott

• View Profile
    • Ogg Motorsports
  • Your Best Time: 5.73@118.80
  • Your Engine: 336 Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Osceola IN, Top Eliminator runs 1/8 mile
  • Your Vehicle: Spitzer225 RED, Alcohol SBC
  • General Location: Northern Indiana
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 11:01:16 AM »
Bill, with yours plumbed through the plenum the gas will get there first, that's why I was wondering about mine plumbed through the distribution block. There will alky left in the block, so whatever I prime with will push this alky out first, actually doing the priming.  I like your solenoid to prevent the plenum vaccum from emptying your tank.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »
I have plumbed a small holding tank in the return line from the "K" valve. This tank is always full after the first start up of a weekend of racing, and does not require refilling.

My primer system is basically used to keep the engine running at the top end of the track. My fuel tank is long and narrow and when braking after a run all the full runs away from the pickup.

It can be used to restart the engine at the start if starter as waved off a start because of a problem on the track.

I have a push button on the dash that runs the primer pump which takes fuel from the bottom of the tank and injects it into the distribution block.

This produces enough fuel to keep the engine running to make the top end turn under power.

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Totally T

• View Profile
    • NDRL
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 04:58:35 PM »
I run one with alcohol. My main line to the pump has a fitting in it with a -4 line to a small pulse pump like Glenn has. I have a nitrous solenoid wired in as a shut off valve and they are wired together. The line from the solenoid runs into the top of my distribution block with another -4 line with a button the wheel to turn it all on. All it takes is about a 2-3 second shot and it starts as easy as my diesel. The cold weather is usually not an issue as its on the oil heater anyways. If it becomes an issue a shot of generator gas will get it going. 
Troy Wilson
Nostalgia Drag Racing League

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 02:31:13 AM »
The only time I had trouble priming on alcohol was a cold engine below 50 deg. A little gas and it fired right up and used alcohol the rest of the day.