Author Topic: Seat Back ?  (Read 7206 times)

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
Seat Back ?
« on: December 01, 2014, 01:14:23 AM »
I have to make a new seat back and pan for my digger.  Currently the aluminium back support wraps around and ends level with the upright behind the axle, pretty standard design.  My chassis is narrow at 19" wide and I was thinking of making the seat back literally just wrapping around level with my shoulders.  This would give me a little more elbow room with a  suit on as the cockpit just became 3" wider, ie the diameter of the tubing.  I'm restrained by my harness and arm restraints and the fully body is a protective barrier between me and the rotating slick ? Can anybody see any issue with doing this ?

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Seat Back ?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 04:19:10 AM »
I am building a dragster for a big guy and between the upright directly behind the rear end and the rearmost one I put elbow pockets into the side of the seat. In the past I had been doing this for the JFR funny cars so I have had some practice. The car is NT/F legal so the pockets only extend down to the kidney bar but he sat in it a couple of weeks ago and said that it definitely helped. It still need a little finesse but this should give you the idea.

Roo

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:57:55 AM by rooman »
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 06:03:41 AM »
You might want to consider more than just protecting yourself from the rotating slick. Being strapped to bare tubing in the event of a crash might cause more injury than you can imagine.

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:05:44 AM »
You might want to consider more than just protecting yourself from the rotating slick. Being strapped to bare tubing in the event of a crash might cause more injury than you can imagine.

thanks, I run padding on all internal bars, haven't crashed any cars but had my bell rung a couple of time.

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
Roo, that seat looks great, do you flow form it in situ ?  I love stuff like this, neat little thoughts, well executed and 9 out of 10 people won't even notice them !

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:14:33 AM »
Phil,
      I clubbed the basic shape using a teardrop mallet with the seat in place and then finessed it in the wheel and power hammer. As I said it needs a little more work but it is close.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline Tom Burke

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: FC/AA
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 01:04:50 PM »
Nice metal work Roo!

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.70 1/8
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsport park
  • Your Vehicle: 225" slip joint FED