Author Topic: Just for fun little guy FED combos  (Read 51581 times)

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Re: Just for fun little guy FED combos
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2015, 11:47:22 AM »
I still say that dollar for dollar that a small block Chevy is the way to go . There are so many parts for them in their stock form that can produce good power . A good 4 bolt 350 block and a 350 forged crank should be easy to find a decent set of rods and a forged piston . A set of trw or sealed power would be just fine . There are a lot of chevy heads that are good 461 if you can find a set 462's 292's are all good heads .You don't even need a roller cam a good flat tappet cam would work well . I really don't know any thing about Ford or Mopar engines so I can't say witch one is better or worse . Chris get that car finished !

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2015, 05:24:43 PM »
I bleed buick. no way I could start over with another brand....other than adapting other brand parts to fit the 350 buick.  ;D.  but we are working on it on go faster. maybe even tune it like it needs to be. 10.2's @ 128 isn't too bad. hopefully in the 9's this year. it's a fun car. no more door cars for us.

Offline tony1966

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.62 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Great Lakes Dragaway
  • Your Vehicle: 2008 FED
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2015, 06:14:15 PM »
Ok so I should probably post something more helpful than a suggestion to hot rod a Renault!

Neither of my cars really fit the budget idea anymore, but I did put together a 413 for my brother that was really a bunch of leftover parts.  The short block was left at the machine shop in pieces so the price was right.  A old set of iron heads with 2.08/1.88 valves and single 4 intake went on it, the cam was a flat tappet w/500 lift.  Couldn’t fit a bigger cam as the valves were too close to the cylinders on the intake side.  Compression wound up around 9.75 to one.  In a 3700 lb car it runs 12.20’s which supposedly works out to roughly 400 hp at the wheel.  With 400 at the wheel of a 1500 lb car it looks like low nines?  Anyway, even with totally mismatched parts it made decent power, and with the lightweight of an FED 400 hp goes a long way. 

Big down side to big block mopars is the block is heavy, and wide.  My starter is relocated to the right side, and getting in/out is tough.  Small block should solve both problems.

I put together a 360 magnum for my other brother that was really nothing more than a 408 stroker kit with a cam someone was getting rid of.  It was something like 217 duration on the intake at 050 and mid 500’s lift with the rockers he had.  That ran mid 12’s in a 3800 lb truck, so similar power.

In any case, I would stick to a flat tappet cam.  Most of my $$ was spent on upgrading valve train parts to keep up with the roller cam, and valve springs get to be an expensive maintenance item over time. No doubt getting the job done with a SBC would be easier, parts are everywhere.  But if you have the small block mopar, use it and enjoy!  Low 9’s or high 8’s is still quick and would still get the adrenaline flowing, plus, you’ll still have the coolest car at any given track, given the engine placement!

BTW, love your car.  It has that old school style I wish my car had.
Tony

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2015, 10:10:31 PM »
Ok so I should probably post something more helpful than a suggestion to hot rod a Renault!

Neither of my cars really fit the budget idea anymore, but I did put together a 413 for my brother that was really a bunch of leftover parts.  The short block was left at the machine shop in pieces so the price was right.  A old set of iron heads with 2.08/1.88 valves and single 4 intake went on it, the cam was a flat tappet w/500 lift.  Couldn’t fit a bigger cam as the valves were too close to the cylinders on the intake side.  Compression wound up around 9.75 to one.  In a 3700 lb car it runs 12.20’s which supposedly works out to roughly 400 hp at the wheel.  With 400 at the wheel of a 1500 lb car it looks like low nines?  Anyway, even with totally mismatched parts it made decent power, and with the lightweight of an FED 400 hp goes a long way. 

Big down side to big block mopars is the block is heavy, and wide.  My starter is relocated to the right side, and getting in/out is tough.  Small block should solve both problems.

I put together a 360 magnum for my other brother that was really nothing more than a 408 stroker kit with a cam someone was getting rid of.  It was something like 217 duration on the intake at 050 and mid 500’s lift with the rockers he had.  That ran mid 12’s in a 3800 lb truck, so similar power.

In any case, I would stick to a flat tappet cam.  Most of my $$ was spent on upgrading valve train parts to keep up with the roller cam, and valve springs get to be an expensive maintenance item over time. No doubt getting the job done with a SBC would be easier, parts are everywhere.  But if you have the small block mopar, use it and enjoy!  Low 9’s or high 8’s is still quick and would still get the adrenaline flowing, plus, you’ll still have the coolest car at any given track, given the engine placement!

BTW, love your car.  It has that old school style I wish my car had.
Tony

Well here's a super cool supercharged Renault from a local South Australian Speedway in the late 1960's

And here's my contribution to the argument - LOL

Let's see you home brewed set up's
Cheers

Offline Mr Froggy

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 12.23 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Thunder Valley
  • Your Vehicle: 68 Dodge Coronet 500
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
I don't care if it has a Helicopter engine but I started this thread so I want you all to calm down. Crikey. At the bottom dweller budget level the engine is just a lump of cast iron and doesn't know what it is. So Froggy, Tony '66 and Van how about some pics and details of your little guy set ups.
Cool yeah Groovy.
Cheers
Tony

No pics but I gave details (about as detailed as it is)  of my 383 Mopar in a door car.     Another thing I found about low buck is that no matter what brand, if you get involved with the rest of the crowd that runs the same brand its alot easier to find good deals.   

If you want to strike gold you have to pan alot of creeks!!

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2015, 06:32:12 PM »
Back in the late 70's I ran a FED with a early Hemi, 331's & 354's  All the time I would be approached at the track If I wanted to buy some old Hemi parts & I always said yes. I bought everything I could & would run adds & sell of the stuff I had no use for. It turned out I made more money than I had invested, so the parts I kept and ran were always free.
 I remember one night at OCIR we ran against a 55 Chevy & Keven beat him. In the cool down lane I went over to shake his hand and say good race, the guy went off on me big time, You with your big dollar Hemi & sandbagging just pisses me off. I just stood there for a moment and said to him, look It's just a bunch of junk parts thrown together, it just happens to run real good( 8.70's ) and we dialed a lower ET than we have ever gone. This just made him madder, so I tell him just give me a few minutes to unbolt the motor and I keep my mag & injectors & you can have the motor for $400 bucks. This just made it worse, so I just walked away.
 Later The guy came over to our pit and apologized, it so happened that a few other racers overheard his rant & told him that it was just as I said, a bunch of old parts thrown together to go out and have fun.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:33:48 PM by Van »

Offline Nightmare AA/FA

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Bakersfield, CA
  • Your Vehicle: 1934 Ford AA/FA
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2015, 07:21:39 PM »
Van,

I'll take the Hemi for $400!

Offline Van

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »
Van,

I'll take the Hemi for $400!

After seeing the Ford Hemi I just bought for $100  now you have Hemi fever. No known cure !!

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2015, 02:36:25 AM »
A Ford hemi for $100. ? Now that is the buy of the year! Any pictures?

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 06:41:57 AM »
Local bracket guy did same thing Van.He had basement full of old Hemi's back in late 80's.He passed few years ago, not sure what his wife did with left over parts.She should have had enough to make for good old age fund if she got anywhere near market value for them. Hopefully his kid helped her sell them off and not get screwed over.

Hemis is one tough motor .  Chrysler stuff that is. Ford well its a ford enough said since I was told if can't say something nice say nothing.I have to go with nothing.  Hemi Heads flow better than most high dollar BBC heads with very little work. Used parts can be bought cheap,just avoid stuff from fuel cars like cranks and rods.Block and heads can be had at great deal and if bad its obvious.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:45:20 AM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Van

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 08:48:02 AM »

The Lincoln DOHC 5.4   they are in junk yards everywhere, but not for $100.  This is the baddest motor made in the US. It finished 1st,2nd,3rd, in the engine masters contest last year. It's gone 5.80's, 220  on turbo alky. anyone (but a Chevy guy) could just buy a carb top & run a distributer off one of the cams, have the cams reground, new pistons & rods & have a real Hemi Cammer that will fly  for cheap. All the Chrysler & Chevy guys cried the blues after the bad Fords ran in the Engine masters last year, I am sure that they will never allow them back.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 10:38:59 AM »

The Lincoln DOHC 5.4   they are in junk yards everywhere, but not for $100.  This is the baddest motor made in the US. It finished 1st,2nd,3rd, in the engine masters contest last year. It's gone 5.80's, 220  on turbo alky. anyone (but a Chevy guy) could just buy a carb top & run a distributer off one of the cams, have the cams reground, new pistons & rods & have a real Hemi Cammer that will fly  for cheap. All the Chrysler & Chevy guys cried the blues after the bad Fords ran in the Engine masters last year, I am sure that they will never allow them back.

Oh, I was thinking 427 SOHC or the Boss 429. I will have to look at the Lincoln DOHC Engine masters contest.

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2015, 01:30:35 AM »
Finished the body work now on my home built special. I could run it now as is but as we approach autum and winter here in the Southern Hemisphere I will now strip it paint and detail ready for next season. When I was in my 20's it took me 9 months to build my FED. Now in the top end of my 50's it's taken 2 years ! I can't wait to go racing again 26 years this month since my last trip down a race track and I have some of the same crew now that I had then with the youngest being 56 and the eldest at 74.
Cheers
Tony
and don't forget to post your little guy combos.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2015, 08:21:28 PM »
Looks, nice, want me to swap it in as your avatar?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2015, 10:12:58 PM »
Cheers Glenn thanks