Author Topic: picking converter for fed  (Read 12042 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
picking converter for fed
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »
While reading another thread on ballast I read Jon Hansen's post with comment on conveter being to tight could cause excessive front end lift.  I started thinking(scares wife when I do that) that converter for FED is different than that for RED. Tons if info on RED conveter combos and most builder have lots of experiance setting you up with one. On FED;s thers less R7D to pull from.

Wondering whos converter you fellas are running. Success with a certain company and maybe which builder has very good handle on converter requirements for a FED. Looking at FTI(lots swear by) Abruzzi and BTE.

My combo(yea for 1000 time) 526 Hemi 4.310bx4.5 s
                                             injected
                                           sheetmetal intake
                                           BAE billet heads
                                             12.5 to 13.22:1 depending on gasket
                                             272/280@.050  .785 cam
                                            MSD mag 12
                                          1.69 power glide
                                         4.11   9" Ford         
                                        225" motor ar 50" out
                                          32x14x15 slicks

I.m thinking in the 6200 to 6600 rpm range and more towards 6600 stall ,shift 7500  to 7700 should fall back just above stall.             

Opion welcomed and suggestion builder that you have worked with.                   
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
Re: picking converter for fed
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 05:37:15 AM »
I'd send all that info off to all the manufacturers you've mentioned and see what they have to say. I might also include Hughs on that list.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 11:21:23 AM »
I think of converters like slipper clutches, in that they allow the engine to work in the RPM range where it makes good power. As-a-mater-a-fact you can look at where the converter flashes at [ where the RPM drops to right after the shift] which shows the true stall, to see if any of your combination changes causes the converter to flash at a higher RPM. Again, like a slipper clutch, the more power [ torque] you make the more the clutch [ stall] will slip.
OK, so you ask where do you start to pick a converter to work with your motor ?  What all the converter companies want to see is dyno charts, because it will show them what your motor is doing. If you don't have or can't get some dyno pulls, I think you should start by talking to your cam guy as to what RPM range is your motor going to run in. As an example if you have a 6200 stall converter, BUT your motor comes on at 6500, it will struggle for 300 rpm. Second choice of how to give the converter company good info is a computer data system, ie RacePak, RPM, so they can see your RPM chart.
It seems all the fast JrFuel teams are using 7" A-1 converters, also most Comp Elim teams. Coan looks like the second popular converters. Now your 526 I'm sure makes more torque than our 10,000 RPM 400 ci motors, so you may need a 8" converter, a few Heritage A/FD [ blown alky] guys are running 9".
I highly recommend calling A-1 Performance, 360-574-9966 to see what they would recommend for your combo. Don't get confused by what other types of race cars use, their combos may not be like yours. IE a Super Comp, Super Gas, 3,000 door cars need  different converters. Hughes seems to be popular in Super Comp.
Now what I did because I didn't have any dyno runs,to get to a few converters to work with my JF was to buy a second converter that I told A-1 to build 200 rpm looser than what I had, run the new one, if the car ran better, I than sent the old converter to A-1 and told them to build it 200 rpm looser than my new one. If that ran better than I sent the converter I took out to A-1 to make that one 200 rpm looser, etc until it did not improve. Then I worked on the motor. Now the real smart, but not cheap, option is to get one of the new 2 pc alum converters, so you can take it apart at the track and change stator to change your flash rpm. I have 5 steel converters now that I use with two different type motors, SBC, and early Hemi. But if the 2 pc alum converters were around when I started, I would not have a trailer full of converters, just stators.
Bottom line is you need to get good info to the converter manufacture.
Feel free to call me with any questions, 805-444-4489
Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
Chris another good guy to talk to is Lenny at Ultimate converters . He builds a lot of bracket pro nitrous and 10.5 stuff . He is a one man show and only dose converters . He also dose a lot of super stock Hemi converters . Give him a call and tell him Bill Masiello told you to call . Jon I see a lot of those billet converters in some of the comp cars really trick piece ! The only thing I dont like about them is making a change between rounds . They must get wicked hot !

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »
Bill we have not changed ours between rounds yet, but the plan is a pan to hold it and of course good gloves.

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline tinbanger

• View Profile
    • William
  • Your Best Time: 7.85
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: 225" Spitzer FED
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 06:04:27 PM »
Wide I have been using Ultimate Converters in my  cars. Lenny worked for Frank Lupo way back at Dynamic Converters. Frank was a big  hemi super stock guy. Lenny is smart and his prices are right. You can tell him Bill Thiel said to call him for what it's worth.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 06:13:22 PM »
Bill, & Bill, what size Ultimate are you running and what ET's do you run with it ?

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »
Everbody has the fave's and go to's, I use Kris @ Continental Converters mainly because he is about a 15min drive from the shop beside building a good part, Had an issue once, split the converter, changed the part while I waited, paint was drying on the way back home. Would I recomend him for your needs, prob not seeing is that there are a whole lot of builders who have access to the same technoligy and parts closer to you. Someone willing to work with you and service is what you need  to look for.

Offline tinbanger

• View Profile
    • William
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 06:26:44 PM »
8" 6500 flash ran easy 7.6s. same combo in 225 red ran 8.0s. about 740 hp 509 bbc.

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »
Bill, & Bill, what size Ultimate are you running and what ET's do you run with it ?

Jon
   Jon I use a 7inch and it stalls at 8200 . The quickest we have gone on motor is 7.28 at 182 . When I was spraying it we went 6.94 at 192 . For spray I use an 8 inch that stalls at 6400. I work on a comp team for Bill Griffin e/aa and we are always changing converters . His stuff stalls at 9000 and above . W have gotten very good at changing them we can do it in about 20 minutes and they are hot as xxxx when they come out ! Those billet converters have to be a lot lighter than a steel one . I have heard stories of guy's picking up .05 with them but the might just be stories ! Bill

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »
Wide I have been using Ultimate Converters in my  cars. Lenny worked for Frank Lupo way back at Dynamic Converters. Frank was a big  hemi super stock guy. Lenny is smart and his prices are right. You can tell him Bill Thiel said to call him for what it's worth.
  I am so old I remember Lenny and Frank from Fairbanks in Stamford ! Bill I must know you from Lebanon ? 

Offline tinbanger

• View Profile
    • William
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 08:28:46 PM »
Bill
   I raced every week at LV. Had a blue undercover 4 link that I trade for my 05 spitzer fed. Will have it at LV opening day. I would love to see pics of your car. I had a 02 225" FED but the cage was to narrow for me. send pics to tinbanger@att.net.Bill

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »
Bill I am pretty sure I remember your car . This is mine at Lebanon.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »
Thanks for the leads guys.

I will check with a few of them and see what they have to say.

As for tq curve I do not have real world info but lots of numbers using desktop dyno. As for start of powerband its almost dead on what Comp cams said when I ordered the cam. 
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 06:01:16 AM »
You night try this question in Dan Dishon's Transmission Den ?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/