Author Topic: Pro charger question on a Fed  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
Pro charger question on a Fed
« on: November 12, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »
We are trying out a VERY Large Pro charger F3R-139(gear driven) on our 445" engine in our Fed this winter.
What NHRA/IHRA classes can we run in with the procharged engine in the FED?
We were thinking Top Dragster or A fuel any other classes/thoughts ;D.
We do have the intake parts to make the 671 intake in the future but for now we are looking at the possible options for this combo.
Thanks in advance for any input.
John
An earlier picture of the mock-up to make sure it fits inside the body....... Only parts to be seen is the throttle body and the pressure pipe.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: Pro charger question on a Fed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:38:36 AM »
Might be wrong don't think pro charger going to be very competivie in A fuel .In top dragster which is just fast bracket race it should be fine. Going to need low 7 or high 6's in some to make field. Seems a good 6-71 would be simpler and cheaper if not going after every HP possible,but thats just my opion.Easier to change pulley if need little more to make field.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »
I would say that Top Dragster would be the class to run with a Pro Charger . Most of the nostalgia classes will not allow a Pro Charger or nitrous . I have seen a few cars with them and they look to be a real nice piece of equipment . There is a guy up here in D1 who runs one on his bracket RED and goes a lot of rounds at the big buck bracket races at Atco . Sounds pretty interesting to me !

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »
Customer has(should say HAD) one on his VW dragster, cant keep bearings in it and then the thing blows up.

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 07:09:09 PM »
Bruce the only issue with bearings I've heard about was several years ago on the smaller belt driven set-ups.
This is one of the largest Prochargers made and we already have the complete set-up here in the shop. I also have the complete (new) Hampton 671 and 4port and an Enderle injector also. The new engine will be here at the shop by the end of this year. ;D
A pulley/gear change is only a few minute deal with this assembly and the way we will have it in the car.
As for a 7 to high 6 second to make the class I'm not to worried about finding a 1/2 second with the use of either form of super chargers.

We will be changing to the 430 rear gears in a few weeks from the current 389. That in itself should help the ET.

Our primary goal is to go faster than 216 to be the fastest Buick powered vehicle.
The Frye brothers hold the record now in their twin nitro injected Nailhead.

Thanks for the feedback.
Please keep it coming......

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:50 PM »
The only thing we have not done was to put a elastic coupling between the snail and gearbox, even took out some very expensive ceramic bearings