Author Topic: Chute Deployment for First Timer  (Read 17334 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Chute Deployment for First Timer
« on: October 28, 2014, 03:25:07 PM »
OK
I am a rookie FED pilot--though have drag raced for over 25 years.
I have 6 laps on my new FED
I have a match race this Sat--going to be lots of fun so I was thinking about opening my Chute even though we are only running the 1/8th so folks will get the best show possible.
Thing is...I have never opened a chute on anything before
I have packed it several times--my controls are adjusted and work good
How do I do it--what do I expect--what to watch out for--when to let her rip?????
I expect calm weather No wind if weather report is good

Do I stay in it and pull it right at the stripe or???
A little advice from the pros please

Thanks!!!!!!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Chute Deployment for First Timer
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
You can drive into it or pull it as you step off the gas. As you are only running 1/8th mile it won't open hard but make sure your shoulder belts are tight anyway (they should be that way all of the time). The first time I pulled the chutes while I was making the runs for my NT/F ticket I was going around 190 mph and with a pair of 12 foot chutes that will get your attention right now!
Make sure that you have enough speed to make it to the turnout and once you are clear of the track pull up as soon as possible so that you don't drag the pilot chute too much-they take more of a beating than anything else.
Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline Oldschool

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.42 in a BB Chevy Altered 9.28 in my Vega
  • Your Engine: 434 Scott Shafiroff Racing Engine
  • Your Track: US 36 , Mo Kan and Heartland Park Topeka
  • Your Vehicle: 173" Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 04:32:50 PM »
Pull at the line,no big deal. The first time I pulled my chute on an Altered running mid 8's. Got out of shape ,ready to turn over,pulled the chute and straighten the car out. It saved me that day, but no big deal.
It is not the years in your life
But the life in your years

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 05:14:25 PM »
This not offered as advice from a pro by any means, just my little experience. Mine goes through the lights at about 125, and if I pull the handle right at the line there's what seem like a goodly part of a second before feeling it slow the car down; so you could let it out a bit before the finish line. At that speed it is not an eye-opening experience. Barely a car-straightening tool either.
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:39:41 AM »
It also depends on the size of the chute, and how the chute is set-up. The bigger the chute the bigger the hit or the more MPH the bigger chute is needed. That's why NHRA has a rule any car that runs, or can go over 200 mph must have two chutes. 
The set-up deal is the closer to the car where the chute lines come together, the softer the hit or the slower the speed you are going. The closer to the chute where lines are attached the bigger the hit or needed with higher MPH or the heavier race car. Because the chute is catching more air.
Ya, you are right, EVERYTHING has to be tuned to work together.
Remember you need to wash the chute once in a while or more often if you are dragging thru the dirt more often. And carry a spare pop chute, they wear-out from dragging on the track/ ground.
Have Fun !

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 07:07:12 AM »
looks like you already have the good advice.   but have to share this a friend of mine runs a 70 Gremlin.  With the iron 401(all motor) it was running 8.30s in the quarter, now with some upgrades and juice he is putting down 7.0s I asked where he feels the power/speed.  Fully expecting the 60ft or top end. He says when the chutes hit.  I thought that was pretty interesting that a speed freak would say the decel. 
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 08:20:45 AM »
Great topic Dave, subscribed.

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 11:58:59 AM »
at bg 2 years ago Amanda pull the chute everthing work like it was suppose to ;D she turn off the track and let along she did not know the chute had not drop at the end of the track then all he$$ broke loses >:(
just something to think about ::)  one of the things no one will tell you about 8)
have fun
hotrod316
steve m

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 03:23:43 PM »
Steve  you brought up a really good point ! One of the most dangerous places to be at the drag strip is the turn off area ! I have seen more mishaps there than on the drag strip . The driver of the car has no idea if his chute is still blossomed . You and your crew have to be on there toes whenever a car comes around that turn .i have seen cars ,crew members ,pit bikes and track workers get caught in parachutes !Wayne Hoffman told me that that his dad one time picked up an NHRA guy on a scooter with his funny car!

Offline PalliP

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Iceland
  • Your Vehicle: Jeep CJ5
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 12:40:22 PM »
Hi guys.
I am allways learnig something new when I open this forum!  i am building my first fed (slowly) and was thinkin about how you guys choose your chute?  Is a 12foot chute for a big dragster or a small one??
Thanks
Palli P

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 07:39:54 AM »
Palli P, that makes 2 of us enjoying learning from this forum.  I think our race rules require one chute over 150mph and two chutes over 200mph (like Jon said above).  If you have a good drag racing 12 foot chute available in your locale, I’d probably install it.  Just a thought (your new fed build) even more important than having a parachute is assuring it’s mounted proper to chassis : )  Alan

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 12:48:48 PM »
I hear that Stroud style chutes open softer and are easy to repack--I have a new Simpson because I bought it for a sweet deal--it has lots of lines and I can see how the other styles may be a little easier to live with.
I rather doubt I will need a chute to stop--If my car goes faster than 8.50 it will be a miracle--I am thinking with a 5.60 1/8th I will just break into the 8's maybe.
But..I feel like folks that come to see a FED run deserve to see the Chute--I posted this on our club website and added that I thought since we Were the Show that we all should pop the chutes each run
Boy..that went over not so well--I got comments like use for me and car safety only etc
I was not expecting that
I just want to be comfortable with every aspect of my car and did not want to toss chute first time and wind up in the weeds because I did not know some fact like not with a crosswind or some such--you get the idea
Glad this post is helping more than just me

Thanks for all the info gang!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »
I just did lic passes in march and ran 7.92 @ 171 on second hit and pulled chute just before stripe and drove into it. had to look to see if chute was out after pass. single chute. was not what I expected at all. just was expecting much more I guess or was just too pumped up either way it was very cool.
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 04:28:48 AM »
hemidakota,
                   my first time took a while. When I drove in the late 60's/ early 70's it was a restricted category six cylinder car and there was no need for a chute as it only run a bit over 120 mph. When I finally got back into a car nearly 40 years later it was a nostalgia top fuel dragster and the first time that I went fast enough to feel that I needed the chute was on the full pull run for my license. 186 mph and two 12' chutes put my head in the dash (not literally but it sure felt that way).

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »
I made a habit of pushing the chute lever forward at the MPH cone (66 before the stripe).  Just something easy for this dumb dumb to remember.  I bought my car with two chutes on it, and i pull both each time (one lever, two wires).  Why? because it makes bitchen pictures. 

I can stop fine with no chute, with one chute, and with two chutes i JUST make the first turnout @ Famoso.  :)

1880# car, 178mph, 7.60 index car

Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com