Author Topic: narrowing field of view  (Read 16085 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
narrowing field of view
« on: October 12, 2014, 08:20:05 AM »
 Wondering of any of you have a way to narrow field of view when sitting 25' from the tree. I know drivers job concentrate on the tree. Simple right?  Yea looking for any advantage I can get on tree. Not sure how many here bracket race but consistant .00_ lights  along with .00_ run giving .00 package are very common. Putting a FED in winners circle over the 100 red and 40 door cars at a big money race with old guy in the only FED, I need all advantages and then some.

Can go blinders route and have been trying to design a flip version to give wider veiw at topend for driving the stripe. Looking for other ideas or tricks. Figure you fellas that have been driving these cars for while might have cpl.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

Re: narrowing field of view
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 10:02:53 AM »
Your helmet sheild has buttons for tear-offs and can put tape on those, The only downside is that what to do when you pull them so they dont litter the track for the next guy

Offline tinbanger

• View Profile
    • William
  • Your Best Time: 7.85
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: 225" Spitzer FED
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »
Hey Wide
     It is not that big a problem. Once you find your spot you can tighten up the RT with your delay box. Car should be deadly it's always the ass in the drivers seat that is the variable. That said I hope you go out and kick some RED but.

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 08:59:47 AM »
Rampy has small adjustable "visors" mounted to each side of the car that he positions to block the tree. Keeps the helmet field of vision open.
Steve Walczak

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 09:31:29 AM »
top bulb here my spot any blink. Just want to catch first 1/4 of that blink everytime. If i do that dialing box in is easy. I have thought about clip on bliners for side of visor oppisite of the tree to cut down on things there.

Reason I have thought about this goes back to race we where at this spring,It was big money bracket race. While Lil brother was stagging a track personal pulled up to his right and gets out of golfcart outside of guardrail but still in his vision. He remained cool stopped,regrouped and drilled other guy .002 to .013.Who just happen to be one of the series golden boys.Might not have been intentional but sure looked funny.Yea hes the very com one in family,his big brother not so much.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 12:58:54 PM »
Focus focus focus.  Once back from the burnout, the tree is the ONLY thing i look at.

5 rounds yesterday, .021 average light.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 01:53:34 PM »
If you are racing 100 RED and 40 door cars at a High dollar Bracket race it most be with rules that allow electronics. No doubt that's why you see allot of .00's, because they are dialing in their and their competiter's numbers. I don't know very much about all the electronic options, but I've heard some guys use "cross talk" ? Where they can dial-in the other guys dial-in, and when the other guy takes off they let go of their transbrake button, and the delay box lets her go on the difference.
We race Heritage JF on the 4 tenths pro-tree, and once in a while NHRA comp Elim on the 5 tenths full tree. You can't ask the driver to be one tenth slower on his reaction time, so we change the car. We change the valve design and spring in the trans brake, and change to a adjustable long throw button.
The other posts talking about blinders is the goal is to have a blinder to block out the top lights on the full tree, so it looks like/ works like a pro tree , ie go on the yellow. The FED's I've worked with that race Comp have blinders that are attached to the cowl that the driver can adjust depending on which lane they are racing.  Your idea about blinders to keep the driver focused and not distracted by stuff going on around him is interesting. You know some of the big show Top Fuel drivers have tape on their helmet shields so they can only see what's in front of them, not the best idea if you are finish line /bracket racing. 
Go to a Comp Elim race and check out the cars that run blinders for ideas on what you want to do on your car. I think the RED and the FED cars run blinders. I also know a racer that swears he can slow his RT down just a bit by lowering his front tire pressure from 35-40 to 25#'s. I'm tend to doubt that idea, but....... I have also talked to Heritage NE-1 [ 7.60 bracket] racers that fine tune
their ET by raising or lowering their engine temp when staging.
Good Luck and have fun !
Jon Hansen, Hayden Wheels, 805-444-4489
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 04:22:28 PM »
Gregm784,
 Around here .02 average would mean 2 rounds at best. Heck my lil brother  had 4- .00_s and 2 -.000 out of 6 rounds and lost one of those by .002 these boys are not playing. Im not worried about beinf competitive I am always looking for edge. Always thinking,which can be dangerous and costly at times.My wife says sometimes a good mind can be scary thing when used.Think she speaks of someone else.LOL

Jon,

Yes electronics abound in bracket racing.I wish less so it would driver not electrician race. A lot of things can be done by those who know electronics and alot of it hard to find. I am not one who knows much more than don't hook the white wire to the black wire.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 07:40:38 PM »
So you are using some electronics ? What kind ? If you are using that magic, I would keep calling the manufacture until I learned how to use it. It's part of their job to make sure their product is being used successfully.

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 09:48:56 AM »
Not really any problems just statment that I am far from expert on it. All I willbe running delay box and the msd grid to control timing retards,advance and nitrous system when using. Have a buddy who is also memebr here who has lots of time working with it and can hit him up for pointers if need. Besides the tuning is 90% of the fun.

Offline tinbanger

• View Profile
    • William
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 12:45:58 PM »
Practice tree is a  great investment . You need to be able to string 10 to 20 hits on it in a row within 5 to 7 thou. If you can no,t you will have trouble get consistent .oo lights. Look on Bianodo's  site , he has good advise on how to practice.

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 01:20:32 PM »
I race where there are no electronics and a 4/10's tree.  Double 00 isn't that common. 
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 03:09:38 PM »
Already On Scotty's site and he suggest 10 hits at a time. I can group within .01 doing 10 hits at a time most everytime. MOST. I have had .006 groups , but not my norm. I normally do 3 or 4 sets of ten part in morning and part in evening.

Offline tinbanger

• View Profile
    • William
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 03:58:07 PM »
With that routine you will be where you should be when your car is done.

Offline tinbanger

• View Profile
    • William
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »
I have a friend with a trans brake button mounted in his mini van. He hits every stop light.