Author Topic: front suspension  (Read 5417 times)

Offline mfp-66

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: stock 68 cadillac 472
front suspension
« on: October 11, 2014, 02:34:49 AM »
going to change the front of my 150" FED from fixed to a sprung front end. This is due to the track where I run at is not very smooth.
 I remember seeing a scan of an article that I think was from the 60's, that showed how they built a torsion front end using a spring from a VW the type with 3 bot flanges on the end

now I can't find it anywhere. tried the search function as well as google.
 anyone know of this article?

want to have a go at building one rather than buying

if anyone has pics of there front suspension in bits

whats peoples thoughts on this type of setup

its not this article by the way http://wediditforlove.com/techtalk18.html

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: front suspension
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 04:19:31 AM »
I have a scan somewhere of an article in Rod and Custom magazine from the 60's with all the dimensions of the Dragmaster torsion bar package. The magazine was building a VW powered T bucket street rod and it was light enough in the front that they simply duplicated Dragmaster's dragster package. I will look through my files and try to find and post it. I replicated the Don Long package when I built Ernie Broughton's Commanche clone but it is a four radius rod deal and a little more complex with separate brackets locations for the torsion arm and radius rods.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline dwrfab

• View Profile
  • Your Track: North star and texas raceway
  • Your Vehicle: Scorpion 1 soon The U. S. Kids AA/FD
Re: front suspension
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »
Kinda like this. I don't seem to be able to get a photo up. Check myweb site www.donrossfab.com
  Don Ross
My life is my wife and building dragsters and parts.  My web site is www.donrossfab.com