Author Topic: Sr Dragster Retires  (Read 13159 times)

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Sr Dragster Retires
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:58:12 PM »
I had known for awhile this day was coming. What started out as just a car to test my 6 snowmobile car intake on had become one of the most fun cars I ever owned. After running the snowmobile carbs for two years successfully I tried some other things. A offy manifold with a reworked 750 Eddy carb was subbed for the six carb set up and results were almost identical but engine could be fired without needing some one to squirt the carbs. The Eddy was replaced by a severely reworked 600 Holley DP and it also worked very well. Frank Lupo made me a 8 inch converter of 4700 stall for the car and it began to be a real hauler. I reworked header lengths and designed and had custom made a couple of cams. The first a timid exploration of an idea I had that would suit this oversquare monster. My suspicions confirmed I went for the gold and was rewarded with a real nice working set up. I explored head work eventually coming up with the current one and am still pinching myself at its success. Both an automotive machinist and a master auto mech by profession time was my biggest expense. I truly enjoyed the step by step march to higher and higher power. It was a wonderful way to spend my retirement. Never much of a driver I had to fight with my inability to drive AND shift the car. A&A trans provided me with one of their super governor kits and that problem was solved. I invented a little rig to control throttle pressure as well and now had an almost infinitely adjustable shift point, indestructible, full auto, trans. The car itself never gave me a seconds trouble, ever.
It went straight as an arrow on every run it ever made without even a hint of bad manners.  Me however, I had a couple of bad manners. One I would sometimes forget to stage up on the converter and the other I have had from the get go was riding the brake handle with my right hand. Sometimes at the end of the track I would find when I went to brake I had been pushing it hard all the way down. A few times I was able to force myself to put both hands on the wheel. I found for instance, running one fellow who ran me most often, with my brake bad habit I would usually beat him by a wheel or so. With both hands on the wheel that improved to over 1/3 of a track win margin. As annoyed as my pals would get at me I couldn't always put it together. However I was never frightened in the car. Then I designed and built the tunnel ram and it matching tuned headers. It was designed to match the engines cam, completing the "everything in unison" plan. Things changed right here. First pass on the new intake I told my friends back in the FED pits "That is as fast as I want to go."  No big problem as I would just lift 100 feet or so out and all was well.  We were just running for fun so it didn't matter. And that first day  I had a mismatched metering plate pair. I fixed that before the next race in june and was payed back with a real strong, hard, couple of runs that found me lifting very early as I was not comfy with the speed. The engine was now starving for fuel at the top end of first gear so I fixed that before the September race. In fact all I wanted to find out in sept was had I fixed that? I had told myself and my wife over breakfast that if the car worked good on the first run I might park it and hang up my gloves right there as it is now going too fast for me. The extra fuel was all it needed it turned out and the car was now a serious car capable or running with the other vintage V8 feds.(In fact at the june race none of the FEDs or altered would pair up against me even when the starter motioned them to.) My Friend Pat had hurt his motor and wasn't at that race. He was at this one though and suggested early in the day we go for it. I took time to bring my motor up to 150F before climbing in as I wanted to give Pat his moneys worth. Pat runs a 427 Chevy square port motor with Hilborn injection so I had my work cut out for me. We pulled into the water together and gave the crowd a John Force style burn through. My car shocked me as with the fuel starve gone it had unbelievable power. We backed up and staged. Pat left first but hazed his tires. I am never good on the leave but with his spin we come out pretty well together.  The six easily walked the BB Chev off the line and I open up a lead early on. However it frightened me and by the shift I am already reaching for the brake (see photo below) but still have my foot planted. No sign of the fuel problem and the six is howling a deep throaty roar.  I held him off till somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 track(The track photog has  beautiful picture of the point where Pat just starts to reel me in.) He eventually went by and that is to be expected as we weigh about the same. When I lifted my throttle jammed, but that is another story. This adventure has given me back so much more then I could ever have asked. While this may not be the worlds most powerful slant six it will certainly take your breath away. Everything is matched with everything else and nothing, not even head flow, is holding it back. I am so happy it is like there are two of me. I have retired the car now. Not because of the accident  but because I have done everything and more with it then I ever dreamed.  I am content in that and know it is time to turn the page. What will happen to the car? I don't know yet. I have had 3 nibbles to see if I would sell it  and I would AFTER I find and fix what caused the throttle to stick.
I don't have to sell it and could just keep it in my shop polished up to bring a smile now and then. Time will tell. I know I will never forget the sound of it howling towards the finsh line on its last run with me at the wheel.  If you watch the video and turn up the sound you can hear it too howling at the 2/3 shift point as it disappears out of sight over the horizon heading for the finishline.
don
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:49:16 AM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Sr Dragster Retires
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 04:52:43 AM »
Sorry to see that you are not going to run the Sr dragster again mate but I understand your reasons. Does this mean that we are going to see the VW in action next year?

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 06:38:44 AM »
The racing world has lost a true racer.

We have a guy here locally that no longer drives, but is heavy into tuning.

Maybe you can keep your hand in the ring that way?????
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 07:36:10 AM »
Thanks Roo,
Yes Das Auto is now top of my list. In fact the fellows from the track emailed and said they found me a parts trans so I can build the 904 for it and they are delivering it today from Kingston. And yes Glenn I have no trouble with that. In fact even when I fielded my door slammer cars other then a shakedown pass to be sure everything was good I always had a shoe in the seat. And I have tuned for others, My old friend Gary Wager being one with his RED he sometimes took me and paid the shot to keep him in the game. He used engines I did for him so it made sense to me. Mike can always use the help with his Hemi rail so I will do that for sure.  I have also gone back and revived my automotive writing career.
I have a piece in this months Chrysler Power as well as a tribute I wrote in Hod Rod deluxe. I used to do quite a bit.
Meanwhile I am digging through the files finding pics of the car as it morphed from a mule to a rocket. It has had more publicity then any car I ever had having been twice in Hot Rod deluxe as background photos, A spread in Canadian HotRods some time ago, in a couple of local monthlies and now the Chrysler Power article. It also appeared on Gearz TV show at the end of the Knucklebuster Episode and Stacy tells me that episode and the piece on the car are now on You tube. So really it owes me nothing.  I was poking around on it just now and removed the offending carb. I believe I found the trouble. It is so minor it is frustrating but it appears to be the cause. I am resting now and will return this after noon and remount the carb and see for sure. Meanwhile, if it is ok I may post any interesting pics here of the car as it moved along in its development. I still love it like the day it first barked to life!
don
I said I wasn't much of a driver. Look at my face shield. I hope I had my fly done up!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 04:25:13 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 08:40:11 AM »
Heck driving is just for the ego.  We know the real art is tuning. I told Rickey Bowie one time when he was driving the Funnycar .Yea drivers have are limited  on time ,us tuner guys can work til cpl days before the funneral. You can tune from wheel chair at 95 if your mind is still sharp. Now keeping us from tuning a highpowered wheelchair is different deal. Already designing mine. 3 inch wide slicks , Vtwin power, 3 foot wheelie bars and Pootshute instead of  parachute. Help me chase the nurse down.
  DON"T TRY THIS AT HOME
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
 :) I have it in the vision!
Car is fixed as of an hour ago. Completely. I refired it. All is well.
don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »
I will never forgot this moment , ever! I wanted to shout to my lil six "RUN FOREST RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 11:57:38 AM »
That is an awesome picture for sure!

I'm looking forward to start reading your Das Auto updates.

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 04:07:08 PM »
Here are the last from a long time ago now when I first built it before paint and from the first night I ran it ever.
I remember after all the work of reworking the carbs making the complicated 4 line fuel system I took it to Shannonville track for a Fri Night test and tune. It ran perfect first pass. No bucking no farting just smooth and strong  for back then. I had borrowed an old set of slicks that probably should have been burnt and it managed to give them a puff of smoke in all three gears. I made one run, had a coke with my pals and loaded it up and came home. One RED pilot asked me why I was going home and I remember telling him "I wouldn't ruin this night for anything." I sat on the couch mulling it over till 2 Am when I finally went to bed.  The last run while a lot faster then the first by a long shot left me with the same pleasure. As you can probably see now I can retire it and enjoy the good times it gave me. It has been a great car for this ol boy!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 04:12:04 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 03:02:56 AM »
I forgot but should include in the story why did I build the car a shorty? First I liked the very early rails with their funky one of a kind appearance but also in the 70s I did a motor combo for a friend who was a local farm boy. He had bought my 32 Bantam altered I had quit on when I got married and asked me to supply an engine, any engine as long as it was mopar for it so we could go racing. I had a good 170 slant six and its push button trans and I had a Corvair turbo charger so I married the two. Here it is at Cayuga on its first voyage. Ran 12s out of the box and he took it to the track in the back of his dads 70s GMC longbox. I always liked that idea so......
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:25:10 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »
Don There is an old saying that when one door closes another one opens ! You made a decision that we are all going to face at one point or another . When I hang up my helmet for good I think that I would like to go to work for NHRA or become a full time crew member for a Comp team . Best of luck and keep in touch with us . Bill

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »
Yes, Tis true. I remember saying this spring before the racing started I have no idea why I am building the Volkswagen save for something to do.
All of the sudden it has taken on a whole new meaning.
don

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 03:34:41 AM »
Sorry to hear your retireing the rail, but the Gasser sounds pretty cool,, Tim Jones

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 06:31:40 PM »
Don, your posts and presence on this are awesome. I know you're not leaving us, just hanging up the gloves. Is there a link to the video you refer to?
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 06:49:11 PM »
It is called Don's Senior Dragster Run and is by 4408roadrunner.