Author Topic: Blower for SBC  (Read 12639 times)

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
Blower for SBC
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:25:21 PM »
I'm thinking of putting a supercharger on my SBC. A 6-71 should do what I want. Doesn't have to be state of the art but I would like it stripped. Would also need an intake with water ports and a drive setup. I should be all set with a hat and fuel system. Send me PM if you have something to look at. Thanks.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Blower for SBC
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
Sounds like another Steve convert?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:34:59 PM »
Stay away from anything tricker than a simple sealed and stripped 6-71, Standard openings top and bottom work fine, all the fuel run thru the hat  only.  Set back manifolds are a waste and expensive. This setup is what I currently run and always in the top 5 of qualy running 7.0pro. Your biggest issue is the crank snout not being stout enough

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 05:57:48 AM »
Crank snout should be ok with a mild 6 71 I would think.

Just don't overdrive it a lot.

I'm running a 8 71 on a Pontiac snout with no problems yet.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 08:38:56 AM »
A stock snout can work, but you will have to purchase a front hub from ATI that is for a SBC snout but the OD is is the larger BBC.  There is not enough material from the keyway to the SBC hub seal surface and will split the hub along the keyway and roll the key out of the crank(junking the crank), and the whole mess tears up the front cover. Glenn, I have seen this happen with running underdrive also.

Offline BK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:25:32 AM »
Is the stock SBC OD. an issue if you use two keys?

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »
Yes it is. We built a BBC OD hub to fit the SBC crank and built a support for it .

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 06:15:14 PM »
I have everything needed. I have 3  671's all just built by Moneyham, a new blower manifold, everything is full polished, I even have a new 3.750 stroke crank with a Hemi snout & I have the blower hub. If you are seriously looking call me, just PM me & I will send my PH # Also I have a large selection of 1/2 pitch pulleys & belts. Idlers too.

Offline BK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 04:02:34 AM »
In my search for a blower I've run into a really good deal on a new Wiend 6-71 kit. Because of the motor I'm only looking for a few pounds of boost. But I'm sure there are reasons why you don't see them raced. So I have questions and would like input.
Any chance it will stay together Bracket racing?
Will the raw aluminum case and rotors be OK with the fuel? I plan on putting all the fuel (alcohol) in at the hat (Bug Catcher).
It has straight rotors. Will they make any boost and hold up to maybe 7,000 RPM at the blower? 
Would the straight rotors tend to spread the air out more even than the twisted rotors?
The motor is a stock block 355. Steel GM crank. Steel H beam rods. SRP pistons. Compression will be between 11 and 12 to 1. Brownfield heads with 207cc intakes ports. I may need to rethink the 108 lobe sep. on the cam.

dreracecar

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 08:35:23 AM »
Not that good of an idea. A race blower is set up and clearenced by someone who knows what he is doing. Set up wrong and without hard anodizing and high speed balencing, if the rotors were to touch each other they would gaul and transfer metal between them and create seriuos problems. They can get away with that on the street because the OD persentage is low, not in boost mode for the majority of time and that gasoline acts as a lubricant, My feeling is that it is a recipe for disaster

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »
IMO you are pushing luck if running much boost at all.Gm block and crank with 12:1 and blower.If you feel big bump under butt it could be crank. Anything more than 8 or 10 lbs would worry me with that combo. I would go lower compression with good performance crank and rods. If using GM block I would have  to go to new splayed caps. May be over kill to some,but you are riding behind the engine.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline BK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 12:29:50 AM »
Not that good of an idea. A race blower is set up and clearenced by someone who knows what he is doing. Set up wrong and without hard anodizing and high speed balencing, if the rotors were to touch each other they would gaul and transfer metal between them and create seriuos problems. They can get away with that on the street because the OD persentage is low, not in boost mode for the majority of time and that gasoline acts as a lubricant, My feeling is that it is a recipe for disaster
Thanks for the input. I had a feeling that would be the case.

Offline BK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 12:40:30 AM »
IMO you are pushing luck if running much boost at all.Gm block and crank with 12:1 and blower.If you feel big bump under butt it could be crank. Anything more than 8 or 10 lbs would worry me with that combo. I would go lower compression with good performance crank and rods. If using GM block I would have  to go to new splayed caps. May be over kill to some,but you are riding behind the engine.
Because of what I have to work with I was even thinking I would go to 10 lbs.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 05:31:26 AM »
In other hand... how many hundreds of SBC engines were topped with a 6-71's before specialty block and cranks were made available (or affordable)?

(However, I consider using an aftermarket block for my next SBC, given that the starting price tag ($1.5K) is not too bad considering all the work to prep a production block.)