Author Topic: Lithium Batteries  (Read 10675 times)

Offline DragsterNut

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.80 1/4 mile 4.89 1/8 mile
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: 184 inch FED 352ci Iron Headed Ford Cleveland on alcohol
Lithium Batteries
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »
Hello. I have to cut some serious weight out.  I'm currently using a Red Top AGM battery that weighs 40#.  I'm looking at a Lithium unit but want to get it right the first time.  I do not run an alternator and have an MSD 10 and data logger.  Anyone had good luck with a particular brand / model?  Thanks for your help.

dreracecar

Re: Lithium Batteries
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »
cheaper to pull the msd and drop in a magneto plus you get a weight savings

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »
I'm using a Milwaukee lithium battery with one of the Neil and Parks brackets. Mine runs the Racepak, shift light, 2 step and transbrake.

http://www.neilparks.com/chassis/powersupplies.htm

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 05:16:35 PM »
Jon Hansen (http://www.haydenent.com/) also has a compact Lithium battery. He's a member here.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:36:42 PM »
After I figured out there was no way I could afford to run in JF the battery became onboard. It is #40 on the nose and still not enough.

Offline DragsterNut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 11:10:23 AM »
Thank you all for the input.  Looks like I need to go to a mag and remote starting battery.  Any issues with running a data logger on 18v? What is the best mag setup for jf? Thank you all again.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 12:01:49 PM »
Dragster Nut, are you asking about 18 volt, because that is what you are using to start your car now? You might want to call your data computer guys about 18 volts.
We use a 15 amp, 12 volt 1lb lithium battery in the car to power the trans-break and RacePak for 4 years now.
If you change to a remote battery pak, the cheapest would be two 12 volt car battery in your tow truck or golf cart. The remote battery pak we used before our current two Harley Davidson Lithium batteries is two Harley Oddessy batteries. One trick to consider is all the teams using a remote battery use a quick disconnect connector, I get mine from a fork lift dealer, but look, ask around other racers you race with to see what size/ color connector they are using. Talk to all of them about using the same connectors so if anyone is about to start, but have a dead battery, then another team can just plug in and get going.
Most JrFuel racers use A MSD 12 or 20 amp mag, ign box and two step. Again, they all use a 24 volt battery start system. The down side to lith batteries is the cost, the batteries I use and sell thru Hayden Wheels cost $260 each, but my crew is happy the new battery pak carrier, and cables weighs less than 10 lbs.
The reason the JF guys use the MSD mags is with high compression, high RPM, and allot of fuel flow, you get high combustion pressure, so the motor needs more juice. Now I understand Spud has had some success with his Mallory, hoped up points mag.

Feel free to call my cell anytime if you have any questions. 805-444-4489,
Jon Hansen , haydenent.com
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 12:21:27 PM »
Another option for you would be a small light weight like Braile that are availible from Jegs . Mine weighs 17 lbs and starts my car with no problem . I do not have a data recorder but I use an MSD 7al3 box and a trans brake .

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 02:06:14 PM »
On Mark Vaught's car we use an 18 volt Milwaukee tool battery. Mike Berry makes the base and they are available from Neil and Parks. We run the trans brake and Racepack logger and dash with it. One on the car, one in the tow vehicle and one on the charger in the trailer. The spare is normally redundant as it has enough juice to run all day.  I mounted the base on the front side of the left hand chute pack where it is readily accessible.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »
So, Roo, no problem using the 18 volt with the RacePak, did they have to change anything to use the 18v ?
Our in the car 1lb Lithium battery runs all weekend with no recharging until just before the next event.
Your battery in the nose is a 12 volt ? And what size wire works for that far from the starter ?  Is the motor a high compression motor 15-17 to one ?  I've heard the dist systems require less cranking amps, but uses more while running, whats your experience ? 
Do you have the 18v in back of the car to swap it fast ?  Parks has their 18v in the cockpit and Scott just slides it back to shut off the motor.

Thanks,
Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline DragsterNut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 07:44:23 PM »
masracingtd1167,  If you don't mind, what is the part number of your Braille battery?  I'm probably going to go to a mag over the winter but if not I'd like to use a light-weight battery.

JrFuelHayden, I was concerned about the 18v Milwaukee battery burning up the datalogger or is there a voltage regulator built in to the battery mount. 

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 07:21:54 AM »
According to RacePak, the V300SD will operate fine on 12-18V

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 12:50:30 PM »
masracingtd1167,  If you don't mind, what is the part number of your Braille battery?  I'm probably going to go to a mag over the winter but if not I'd like to use a light-weight battery.

JrFuelHayden, I was concerned about the 18v Milwaukee battery burning up the datalogger or is there a voltage regulator built in to the battery mount.
        The part no of the battery is 147-b2317r