Author Topic: trailer floor space  (Read 10215 times)

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
trailer floor space
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:26:07 AM »
so here is the problem.  My Fed, daughters Jr and golf cart don't fit in the floor space of my 26 foot enclosed trailer (6.5 ft interior).  Yes I know buy a bigger trailer and that would be great, but not at this time.  I am looking for some good ideas on how to package the three items in the trailer.  Love to see some photos on how this can/is being done by others.

My first thoughts are to either lift the nose of the Fed or put the golf cart on a removable platform over the cars.
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: trailer floor space
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:22:09 AM »
I have seen people do the removable platform for the golf cart before.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:34:03 PM »
Hieght? We had my TA/D 275" riased and funny nosed under it it a gooseneck 45'.Rasing the jr over fed at front of trailer and raise nose of fed with golf cart sideways. Support fed chassis in middle to prevent beating chassis to death. Sometime its either too much stuff or not enough space for it all.I know golf cart is nice to have but people raced for years w/o one.

Pickup truck? Can you get something other than cart and carry in back?
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:42:58 PM »
OK, here is a couple of options I've seen or helped load and unload.
The removable [ steel or alum] or non-removable rack for golf cart works by making the roof of the golf cart removable, then load the cart 1'st, then load your FED in so the front-end is under the cart.
Option two is back your FED into the trailer, and move the front end to one side of the trailer [ use a patch of carpet to protect my wire spoke wheels], and the load the cart next to the dragster on the other side.  This would be a good option if you want to use your cart before and after you have loaded the race car. And you may be able to hang the JR over the FED, just make sure your trailer can handle the weight of the JR, or build a frame support inside the trailer.
The most inventive trailer loading I've seen was, in a 24' trailer [or maybe shorter], had a big removable tool box, a Chevy II [ Super Gas], golf cart, and a FED [ A/ND] with the front end hung from the roof. He had installed a steel frame inside the trailer to tie the dragster front-end to, so the front of the dragster hung over the Chevy II. OH Ya, the big stackable tool box in the front of the trailer.
YUP, all this in a two axle trailer. Sorry I have no pictures or not sure of the size of the trailer. 
Of course the amount of floor space you are using for tool boxes, work benches, wheels/ tires, etc may have to be relocated.
So get out your measuring tape, and have fun !

Jon Hansen
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:20:58 PM »
Option 2 works well for us .

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 07:21:57 AM »
Excellent thanks for the ideas.  the cart has a fold down "boat style" top so the height is the steering wheel.  I really like the idea of the platform since it would only need to be as high as Johns front spokes(hate to bend or scuff them), call it 24" with clearance.  little concerned with the fore/aft strength of the E-track Shoring beams.

If I raise the dragster up obviously support the front tires.  Then just one support in the center?  just in front of the engine?

a Truck would be too easy - I have a 3/4 ton Yukon
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline Totally T

• View Profile
    • NDRL
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 07:37:20 PM »
What we did was take a load lock from the local trailer supply shop and some etrack bolted to the walls and left the rear tires on the floor and had the front suspended by the load lock. Strapped the rear tires both directions and small strap around nose...easy and cheap. There are companies that make them but they will cost....but they are alot nicer too.

Google Jr Dragster trailer lift and you will get plenty of ideas.

Click the link.

http://www.hanksvillehotrods.com/Products/JuniorLiftcom/tabid/574/Default.aspx
Troy Wilson
Nostalgia Drag Racing League

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 11:27:01 PM »
Make sure you use a double strap on your rear tires, a single can come loose.  Also support your chassis at the rear motor plate, to keep the chassis from flexing while towing. I've seen busted chassis just from towing, not racing. Plus we always check the trailer/ racecar when we stop for fuel or a piss break. The last chassis I saw cracked/ broken was when the racer relied on the inflatable type support, that of course, it developed a leak and the chassis bounced around. 

Good Luck, and have Fun !
Jon, Hayden Wheels, and JrFuel Dragster Association
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 05:06:20 AM »
The last chassis I saw cracked/ broken was when the racer relied on the inflatable type support, that of course, it developed a leak and the chassis bounced around. 

Good Luck, and have Fun !
Jon, Hayden Wheels, and JrFuel Dragster Association

I know that story too. I had to front half Mark Vaught's car after his bag deflated on a trip back from Bakersfield a few years back.  We load the car now with a big show T/F style dolly and leave it in place for going down the road. We also strap the chassis down over the rails--bouncing up is as bad as down.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.