Author Topic: what 60 foot times  (Read 10216 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
what 60 foot times
« on: September 04, 2014, 01:39:45 PM »
Wondering what kinf of 60 foot time most of you are getting. Asking because read a few post and time seems slower than I would have thought. If can give weight and power estimations and et's when replying. Also checking accuracy of drag simulator program I got from fellow racer. Seems to be way off w/o tweaking few numbers like frontal area and drag.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

Re: what 60 foot times
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 02:41:32 PM »
2 desrepencys one has to figure in is how the front end is built, my car has zero overhand so the front tire starts the clocks and trips the 60' timing blocks. Funnys and altereds can run as much as 40" of overhang, so the front tires start the clocks and the nose that trips the lites is 36'' ahead of where the beam picked up the start thus makeing it a 57 foot time instead of a 60 ft time. Dragsters are limited to 30" therefor 58ft clocks.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 03:09:44 PM »
Chris my best ever was a 1.01 with a 200 shot of nitrous . For the most part on motor 1.07 to 1.10 . I would like it to be around 1.04 I just have not been able to find that right combination yet !

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
60's are only relavent if you are not running for a fixed ET

Offline Pipe Dreams

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.09@165
  • Your Engine: 416 small block MOPAR
  • Your Track: Milan,Mi or Norwalk,Oh
  • Your Vehicle: 170" woody gilmore fed
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 07:04:28 PM »
Consistant 1.18' with the new 31x 10.5 Hoosiers. Per your engine dyno program I' m 631 hp and weigh 1600 race ready with me in the car. Best 60' 2 weeks ago was a 1.15

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 05:34:20 AM »
I was asking for cpl reasons. One of which is Drag simulator shows(questionable program) my car should hit .99 to 1.01 and 1/8 mile in 4.40 range. Not going to be mad if its right. I expect car to be in 4.60 area. Anything much faster seems to have issues in late rounds when tracks around here start to loose some bite. But then they all have motor in wrong place.

Did not take front over hang into account on 60' clocks and with a lot of fed's having zero that would make big differance.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »
.99 60ft is a big move leave for which I think the program does not factor in all the variables.
I went thru most of my time slips(Yes I keep them) and not one of them have I came across a sub second 60' time in the next lane and these are cars with OH, Glides, and 2disc clutches, best I came up with was a 1.026 60"

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
How high off the ground are the 60' beams?
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

dreracecar

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
Foam blocks are 12" cubes and the 2" reflectors are in the middle, Stage and pre-stage are on the deck.

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »
60 ft can often be the most significant piece of info you can have.
MPH speaks to Horsepower but little else . What happen in the first 60feet can be the difference between  killer car and someone elses cannon fodder. The easiest place on the whole race track to get the biggest bang for you buck is the launch and the first 60ft. Why? because for one thing you are moving at the slowest speed here so most improvements will cost you little $$$$$. When I am running a serious car I spend almost all my time working at this. I ask do I have too much gear, Do I have enuf converter. Am I lifting the front end too much or too little. Am I leaving straight or sort of sliding out of the gate with a slight sideways march. Things I have learned along the way. Everything has absolute limits. Even traction. Biggest mistake I see and I see it often is a light weight car , like our FEDs running gearing suitable for  door slammer . Bluntly put that would be  4. anything or higher.  With my little six at 1706 race weight including me I run  3.91 with a 29.5 tire. I should probably move to an actual 30 tire as I don't need quite that much even. On Mikes car the Hemi we run a 3.55 and really should up its tire size an inch dia  as he doesn't need that much either. 
I buy the best converter money can by from one of the best there is,Frank Lupo.  I currently use a 4700 stall 8 inch behind my little six and if I have my witts about me  stage using as much as the track can handle that day I can leave on almost anyone , even some of your procars . I have been involved with Frank since the 1990s. He is my secret weapon. If you think any good converter will do may you be in the other lane on race day. Tire setting for the track I covered  few days go so I wont redo it. Which trans gear or which low gear. If I run a tiny cube engine then I use the big gear. With a PG I believe you have a 1.82 or something. Also on the 904 torque flight which I run the lock up cases use a lower first gear and I would use that for a small cubed engine but not  big cubed one. Once I get above 400 cubes I would start to consider the lighter gearing in first.  I try best I can by shifting weight or balance in the car to keep the front end off on the launch but less then 6 inches with about 3 being ideal. I spend  lot of time at this.  I watch my short times like a hawk and if I do something that produces a neg to me result I swallow my pride and undo it. (You can laugh but many don't) Now I know at this stage of my life I am not as serious about this as I once was but we did field a lot of track champions from this shop  in various forms and this is how. Far too often folks are consumed about the engine and forget the small stuff.  We concentrated on the launch and worked to leave you sitting hoping we could hold off your top end charge. Most of the time it was a very successful approach.  As to the simulator results. Write the figure down it gave you. Assume that to be ideal and work towards it.  Use it as ideal yardstick as it were. You wont get their overnite. You may never get there but if you use it that way you will always beheaded in the right direction.
My 2cnts
don
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:54:59 PM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 07:54:35 AM »
adree sub 1 60's not common at these power levels. Also not really a goal. I do like using 60's for tuning leave rpm,determining  tire consistency and if going away. With lots of smaller tracks it helps figure track out.

Also agree program is missing few things.No over hang info for one.Since it was mentioned earlier.It is more for a play toy and comparison like what would 40 ho be worth , how much rpm would inch taller or shorter tire change.

Have had guys say 60' don't mean crap the tracks 1320 long.If you pick up .02 in 60 you are still .02 quicler in 60 of that 1320 and unless doing so cause problem for 1260 you will be quicker over all.Most of these guys where .98 60' and ours was ,.92 or .94 at the time.Kind of like lane choice don't matter when you don't have it.

dreracecar

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 09:20:01 AM »
Sorry if I forgot, But what style of "Raceing" are you planing on doing- Out the back door or INDEX

I run INDEX style so 60ft does not meen that much to me except if my times were off, so I would check that to see if it was lost at the start and that would meen the the track was off. I usually get only 2 hits at the tree and each in the oppisite lane. I would rather be conservetive and consistant on my 60's(1.08/9's) and hook everytime, then to be aggressive and shake in a bad lane. Adjusting for 60's is a coarse adj. and big top end gains are the result, but somtimes one pays the price. Everthing I do at the start is the same everytime and the 60's repeat at all the tracks I race at and in all conditions and I use what is available to me in top end tuneing to make fine adjustments to bring me on the INDEX.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 11:39:58 AM »
90% of racing will be brackets and maybe some nostaligia shows later. Injected right now but having run blower motors its never out of question. Got to see which class's I can run at nostalgia races with least amount of changes.Like I said Im not trying to kill 60's just seeing what others are running for comparison.Heck going out with 1.69 low and 4.11 gear and thinking about 3.90 gear later.

Personally looking for 60's to be mid 1.0's,do have 29.875" over hang .No since pushing rule to limt.

Heck right now a pass would be great.Getting closer and more anxious.With parts left to get me on track and making laps it will be first of year. Few very high priced unexpected things popped up past cpl months and set me back some.Think they call that life.If only bron rich instead of so dang good looking,don't believe me ask me.

dreracecar

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »
Get your car done and worry about what other people do later

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 04:39:18 PM »
Not worried about anything.Just gathering info. IMO you can never have too much info,unless you don't know whats worth keeping and whats not. Just Like M/T's.My first few hits probably going to be hoosiers,but like knowing what might work better in advance.

Don't worry about car its getting work as quick as the cash comes in. When its slow its hard to do somethings.Matter fact just finished transmission for it.