Author Topic: build or buy?  (Read 10435 times)

Offline probird

• View Profile
  • Your Track: alberta
build or buy?
« on: August 16, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »
Hey fedders!
Just getting the itch to go racing again. always wanted one. went over to grapro's house and looked at his rail. just about has it finished.
Just thinking(and looking) at racing junk and classifieds here. Haven't decided which way to proceed.
Buy a kit and piece it together or buy a used one?
So if a person found a good deal on a used one,it probably would only needed to be freshened up where to build one I would need everything.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Barry.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: build or buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »
Depends on quit a few points. You want true older design or one with few modern touchs. Want motor back or like a lot of newer one with it lot farther out? Want it now or in year or two of build or more if broke like me.Going on 3 years and still not finished but getting close.

Cost wise probably buy used.Satisfaction of running a car you built is hard to beat.If you shop around you can find some very good buys in roller or turn key.End of season might be good time too.My dogs keep me going to vet like last two months and heck I might be giving mine away.

On my car I have built everything I can made likes of stuff I could buy,some cheaper in long run.Its taking forever,mostly money.Then again I doubt I would have gotten  what I have if buying everything .Also doubt I would have saved up the money to have for buying turn key cat either. Plus I love fabrication and building as much as I can.IMO it will be ten time sweeter when I win the first race,figure might take 2 or 3 to get first win.After first one they seem easier.Plus win loose or draw its all on me.

Smart folks buy or have them built,determined folks build(not stuborn).IMHO do which ever gives you the most enjoyment thats what this is about right?
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 02:19:46 PM »
Buying a completed car (and knowing what you are looking at) will get you racing sooner and at about .45 on the dollar. Building takes time and money- but you will have it done your way.

Offline probird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 03:03:04 PM »
I guess it depends on the used car and how much. some of the kits look to be about 5g's.
tubing, rear housing and front end would be a good starting point. I have a 400 sbc to go into it. then I would need all the little nickel and dime items to finish it. hmmm.
Now if I could find a nice roller for about the same, less work to do................
I like the late 60's/70's style. low sleek looking.
I'll just keep looking for one not all beat up or if a kit goes on sale comes up I cant refuse lol

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:54:04 AM »
Took me over 2 1/2 years to complete mine and make first pass--was a milestone in my life--No words for the satisfaction of  finishing a project like this and driving it for the first time--So..if you need a mental health boost build it--just want to go race and try one--way cheaper to buy a car--way cheaper--even with upgrades.
You start out saying going to build it cheap and on time--you end up doing everything first class and top shelf and spend more than its worth on the market.
Folks that have watched me build this car and then run the crap out of it are in awe--I did not do it for anyone but myself but have to say the pride in acomplishing this dream is hard to put into words--one of the best decisions I have ever made.
Now balance that with the fact that most project cars are never finished by the original owner or even the second or third for that matter
You have got to have some guts!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 10:06:10 AM »
I would have to say that if you are going to do this you would be better off going with a new car or one that has been built with in the last 10 years . Most of the chassis builders will build you a car in most any stage of completion . Then you can add things a little at a time. Bill

Offline ricci32

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: sbc ,gas, 358cid
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: Vintage style FED
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:50:10 AM »
Having built my own and one under construction I would buy a fairly modern used car you are so much further a head and bruce is right literaly half the price . I really enjoyed building mine but redoing one for my needs is just as fun. Good luck.

Offline AF150

• The Devil is in the Details
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.37 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Early Hemi, 365", Blown Alky
  • Your Track: Tulsa Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: 200" FED
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »
Barry...
Call this number (817)eight-zero-one-3131
186" 1970 Ed Mabry car...NHRA certified.
I think the guy died from heart problem. Family needs to sell.
Turn-key or roller. They have photos.

Mike
MB

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:03:42 PM »
might check SWJFA.com they have one for sale every now and then.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline probird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 09:49:34 PM »
thanks for the heads up Mike but Kim sold the car.
Will keep checking that site.
ill keep looking around the net.
I'm up in Alberta so it will be quite a drive if I find one but if I find one for a good price, so what! lol
Its only gas!
Thanks guys.

Offline probird

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »
Or has any of you used a shipping company like uship or anything like that?
I might have found one in the midwest.
might be easier than 4 days driving!

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.45 @ 182 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: NA Injected 505 BBC on 45%
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Washington Coast
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 06:16:12 PM »
I had mine shipped to me from Illinois to western Washington. At the time it was a little more cost wise but saved 5 days. Was well worth it to me.
Mark S

dreracecar

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »
Much cheaper if one breaks it down, mount it on a pallet (parts iniside the frame) and ship it as parts

Offline probird

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 07:24:55 PM »
well fedders. I took the plunge and bought one today!
Its down in north Dakota so about a 10 hr. drive each way.
Ill post some more when I get it home!