Author Topic: Engine oil recycle / Tire recommedation  (Read 18208 times)

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Kjula Raceway
Engine oil recycle / Tire recommedation
« on: July 27, 2014, 12:54:26 PM »
Hello Guys:)
Just wander if you guys recycle Your engine oil from Your dragster? So far I change oil after 2-3 rounds, Depends on how much start-up's we do.
After a race I heat the oil to about 190-220 degrees, for about 15 min. Then all the water and Alky should evaporate. I run the warm Oils through a oilfilter, then add a couple of New quarts to about 6 quarts of recycled oil. Anybody els here do something like this?

Also, my current frontrunners are 2.75x19" Avon speedmasters. Look like Avon only has 3.00x19 now, but I really would like somthing skinny on my Borrani Wheels. Is there a good looking 2.75x19 out there?

/K

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Engine oil recycle / Tire recommedation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »
I use new oil when I change my oil
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:03:49 PM »
I always reuse my oil, but a little different. I run alky & nitro, I take my drain oil and pour it into a 55 gal drum & let it get near 3/4 full. I have a drain on the bottom & after 4 months, I drain out the nitro & alky. I set my pump about 4" from the bottom & pump out the oil & run it through a simple paint strainer & reuse it. I never reuse oil if the filter has metal in it. I think that if reusing oil after less that 5 min. run time is bad, I shouldn't have put it in the motor to begin with.

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 07:57:31 PM »
Use Brad Penn oil
 Will not emulsify with the alcohol and any floating on top will steam off warming it up. pull it out after 15 passes and still looks new

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »
Sidewinder, Here is my 2 cents on oil, and front tires ;
1'st of all I run my oil for the entire event, change it when we get home. We raced our JrFuel last week end in B/ND racing Comp at the  Div 7 race in Sonoma Calif. We ran it 6 runs, 4 qualifying, and 2 elims. I guess I could re-used it but I've been dragracing dragsters since 1962, and have never re-used the oil. I don't know what kind and weight oil you use, but we use Motul 6100 10w-40, it's a synthetic blend. I have been told you don't want to run a full synthetic oil in an alky burning race engine, because synthetic oil and alky fuel are ester based products, so you will get too much dilution. The Motul has extra additives so unless I'm way rich, we don;t see any alky in the oil, [no baby puke]. Another team I help, drains their oil after each event also, and run the drain oil in their truck.
I know of a TAFC that uses a converter [ no clutch] and in order to get the idle low enough they run it very rich, they have to do that because the throttle plates can get stuck when adjusted that closed. So they cook their oil after every run to cook off the alky.
If you are running 50-60w oil you may want to set your clearances tighter and start using 10-40 oil. It takes power to push that heavy oil thru your motor. I only advise 50w oil if you are running nitro, mostly because you run larger quanity of fuel.
BTW, we have won 3 NHRA JrFuel Heritage Championships with my 10,000 SBC, and only broke one motor because of a bad trans, when the motor went to 11,500 rpm.

OK, now about skinny front tires, as far as I know Avon, or anyone else no longer makes a 2.75 or 3.00x19 rib tire. You no doubt want to replace your Avon's because they are cracking from age, and they might have stopped making that tire over 10 years ago. What I would recommend is sending me your 19" wheels and I can change them to 18" rims, then you could use new 2.50x18 rib tires. Ya I know the 18" will be a little shorter at 23" to 23.5" but you will be able to replace those tires. Plus it looks like, looking at your picture you can lower your front end and not have any clearance issues.

Feel free to call me with any questions, 800-624-3803, Hayden wheels,
Jon Hansen     
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »
The way I tend to look at things is that when I ran my 410 sprint car around a 1/2 mile dirt track(ASCOT) the evening consisted of about 80 laps and 60 of the were full throttle (not idleing) which is about 40 miles.Taking into account that the engine is on and off the throttle and only taching 7500 I will cut that figure in half at 20 miles between oil changes. 16 passes in my dragster is 4 miles between changes. If your 8 qts of oil cannot stand up to that then you either have tune up - engine builder - or oil quality issues.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 10:30:02 AM »
I  just look at as insurance
Glenn R. Lever

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 11:43:41 AM »
Insurance from what? I would like to know

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 11:54:34 AM »
Insurance from what? I would like to know
Peace of mind.
Glenn R. Lever

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 12:12:30 PM »
Use Brad Penn oil
 Will not emulsify with the alcohol and any floating on top will steam off warming it up. pull it out after 15 passes and still looks new
    That Brad Penn oil is the best ! On a tip from you Bruce I started using it in my motor and the oil looks great not milkey at all !

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »
I also use Brad Penn
Glenn R. Lever

dreracecar

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »
Save some of that 2-3 pass oil and send it in for testing

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
Thanks for Your replays guys:) Over here several of other racers tend to recycle their oil.
Bruce, as you say, we probably can run longer between change of oil. The engine Builder has done a Perfect job, the tune-up is a litle fat (safe side).
The oil is not very milky, but if you test it, you can feel it's less sticky. Other pro teams change oil more often. the price over here is about $10 for a quart. I use 8 Quarts of Kendall 20-50W(New) or 6 quarts of recycled 20-50W and add 2 With Nitro 70. The Nitro 70 has moore of the good stuff.
Brad Penn is something i will consider in the future:) And Bruce, as said, we change oil to be on the safe side. We do not run With a filter either.
By changing oil more frequent, we can also check if there is anything in the pan, monitoring:)

I think my local supplier has some 3.00x19 left. I really whant to stick With the Borranis:)

/K

dreracecar

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »
If you would have mentioned that little tidbit about not running a filter in the begining of all of this, I would have not wasted my time writing a response

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 03:30:44 PM »
Sorry that I wasted Your time;/

/K