Author Topic: Battery cable size/ ISP lateral head supports.  (Read 5004 times)

Offline imcamod17

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Muncie Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 200" Hal Canode FED
Battery cable size/ ISP lateral head supports.
« on: July 26, 2014, 01:02:52 PM »
Thanks you guys are great help on my steering box and coupler questions. What size battery cable should I run from the battery to the electronics and starter. I always used a 1 on my circle track cars. Can I get away with a 2 gauge? What do you recommend. Small block bracket car, with high compression, gear reduction mini starter, no alternator. Second part is what do you guys think of the ISP bolt on head supports. They seem pricey $475, but I have been knocked out 3-4 times running circle track over the last 18 years. Does anyone have them,  and will they hold up in a fire?  Many thanks.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Battery cable size/ ISP lateral head supports.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 05:50:31 AM »
I did not like the non retro look of the big head supports but after repeatedly banging my helmet against then in a bouncing shut down situation at Bakersfield I am all for them. I though that I might have a line on getting them done cheaper right here in Brownsburg by Bald Spot, the company that does all DSR's pads but Bill and the guys at ISP are still a little cheaper.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:22:12 PM »
We use the ISP head supports since NHRA made a rule about it, as far as I know they cover them with Nomex.

We use #2 wire on the racecar and in my remote battery pack, we don't want batteries to start the car in the car because we work hard to make weight. 3.5 lbs per CI in our 16+ to one compression all iron SBC on alky JrFuel dragster that weighs 1430 lbs with driver. The only battery we have in the car is a 15amp, 1 pound battery to run the trans brake and the RacePak. We just plug in the 24volt battery pack, start the car and put the 10 lb 24 volt battery pack back in the tow truck.
Now if weight is not an issue in your class/ bracket and if you need extra weight on your nose so your car goes straight, you could replace your lead weight with your batteries, just use the # 1 wire. 

Jon Hansen, Hayden Wheels
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline fedonnitro

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: Not reached yet!
  • Your Track: NorthStar, Texas Motorplex, Texas Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 206" Blown/Injected FED
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:05:53 PM »
When we ran the blown altered years ago we used #2 wire also for the block mounted starter, no alternator and it worked well. We did not have a lot of electronics on it like delay box, etc. but the tach, shift light, tail light, etc. had no problems.

I haven't used the newer bolt-on style ISP's before but I love our attached plate style. They do cost more but have almost completely negated any neck and headache issues since installing them. Tire shake has gotten us several times when I don't put enough in it on a great biting track but no more headaches afterward! Used the half round stuff in the past and there is no way I'd go back. They wrapped it in nomex but ours is a single layer?

Offline fedonnitro

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: Not reached yet!
  • Your Track: NorthStar, Texas Motorplex, Texas Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 206" Blown/Injected FED
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 03:19:33 PM »
I don't have any good pics of the completed ones but here is an outside shot.