Author Topic: Strange steering box altered/ dragster  (Read 12011 times)

Offline imcamod17

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Muncie Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 200" Hal Canode FED
Strange steering box altered/ dragster
« on: July 26, 2014, 04:23:10 AM »
I was wandering how you guys secure your coupler to the steering box. I have a Strange altered/dragster steering box and I was going to drill through the shaft with a cobalt bit and put a set screw to secure the shaft. I burnt up 4 bits with cutting oil and didn't even put a dent. Was wandering if the shaft was made of kryptonite?  :) My butterfly wheel goes to a shaft with a coupler, that slide over the spline steering box shaft. I notched the splined steering shaft, drilled a hole in the coupler, dropped a pin through into the the slot and tack welded the pin to the coupler. There is some play in it and I don't like it. Looking for suggestions. I think I just screwed up a $523 steering box.  Anyone know what the heck the shaft is made of? S3441L is the box part #. Thanks

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Strange steering box altered/ dragster
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:37:29 AM »
Roo Man set this up for me.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:44:15 AM »
Never use just a set screw to hold the coupler to the shaft, always have somthing go completely thru the shaft and collar. If you have burned up that many drills you have prob worked hardened the spot. A good tool supply will carry Carbide tipped drill bits and that will get you thru the hard spot.

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »
i just came across this on my build also .... why didnt strange ever put a hole in there ? 

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 01:50:46 PM »
Most people would not be able to line up the coupler to match drill it

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Just a little 355 Chevy
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: 2013,160" CenPen Speed Shop (Worm)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
Hi, I didn't want to drill the shaft in the box, so I made a small collar, and installed it onto the steering shaft up against the mount for the steering shaft bearing. The bearing bolts in to the cross tube that supports it bearing.The collar keeps the steering shaft from coming out because it is against the bearing. Look at the picture,(up above the tranny output, right above the bolt ) you can see the collar welded to the steering shaft, keeping it engaged onto the splined input shaft on the steering box.
 Hope this helps,
   Roger
 You could also use a split collar (industrial supply place) for the diameter of your steering shaft, if you don't want to weld to your steering shaft.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:35:23 AM by L79_Acadian »

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:45:44 AM »
Strange will sell you just the part you need if repair is in order
Just a note , they stock several different side shaft lengths
I waited months for a Stiletto box finally callled Strange had one in 3 days Glad I did
Excellent unit
FWIW I have a coller on mine same as yours as I experienced same issue--wound up with set screw and the coller behind bearing--will drill it next time I am in there though
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 03:39:47 AM »
I drilled and put a roll pin in mine. Than I took a piece of tubing and slid it over the roll pin so there's no way it could walk out.

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Just a little 355 Chevy
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: 2013,160" CenPen Speed Shop (Worm)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 04:36:51 AM »
 I did this sketch to try and better explain how I keep the steering shaft on in my dragster. I feel that by drilling a steering shaft, it weakens it.
 As you can see, the steering shaft cant go anywhere because the welded collar, presses against the "bearing tube" that is welded to a plate. This plate is intern bolted to a couple of tabs, welded to the cross tube in the chassis( plate would be on the left side of the mounting plate in this drawing).
 To get the steering shaft out, I first unbolt the 2 bolts that hold the :bearing in, then pull the steering shaft towards the back of the car.
  You could replace the welded collar with a 2 piece, "split collar" from a industrial supply house. These collars are made to clam on whatever size shaft you buy the collar for.
 Hope this helps
  Roger
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:44:58 AM by L79_Acadian »

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 05:09:15 AM »
I usually drill my parts in the mill using a carbide spotting drill. I slip the coupler on to the spline and clamp the coupler in the vise on the mill. That allows me to center the hole and make sure that it is square with the shaft. As Bruce noted, if you don't get through the hardened surface right away you will make the spot so hard that the only solution would be to EDM the hole or rotate the coupler to a fresh area and start again.
 dusterdave, you probably tried to get the Stiletto box while the company was in transition from founder Gary Wood to current owner Stu Spears (Chassis Shop/ ProWerks) as they were in a no stock situation for a while until manufacturing got back up to speed in Michigan. I like the smooth action of the Stiletto box but it is a little bulky--more a visual thing than actual size--not sure why Gary did not profile and radius it a little more.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline imcamod17

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Muncie Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 200" Hal Canode FED
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 05:42:24 AM »
Thanks for all your guys input on my question. I finally did manage to drill through the shaft. After I got through the hardened outside the middle drilled nice.  Thanks again I have found a wealth of knowledge here.