Author Topic: Trailers - getting it there in one piece.  (Read 4068 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Trailers - getting it there in one piece.
« on: July 25, 2014, 04:01:06 AM »
Howdy
Many many years ago I ran a 160" WB FED with a mild steel chassis and a VW torsion bar front suspension. I used straps over the back tyres and some stretchy elastic strap about 3" wide from a furniture maker over the front axle to hold it all down on my open trailer. Never had  a problem.  Fast forward to today and I'm about to go racing again after at least 25 years away. I have an old chassis which I've front halved and this time I have solid mounted (welded) the front axle to the frame. How do I tie this to an open trailer on leaf springs without breaking the frame on our less than ideal roads? Should I suspend the chassis just forward of the engine?
Cheers
Tony

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Trailers - getting it there in one piece.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 04:49:14 AM »
Howdy
Many many years ago I ran a 160" WB FED with a mild steel chassis and a VW torsion bar front suspension. I used straps over the back tyres and some stretchy elastic strap about 3" wide from a furniture maker over the front axle to hold it all down on my open trailer. Never had  a problem.  Fast forward to today and I'm about to go racing again after at least 25 years away. I have an old chassis which I've front halved and this time I have solid mounted (welded) the front axle to the frame. How do I tie this to an open trailer on leaf springs without breaking the frame on our less than ideal roads? Should I suspend the chassis just forward of the engine?
Cheers
Tony

I bought one of these on a recommendation from a friend. It works really well.

slide the deflated stabilizer under the most flexible point in the chassis and inflate it to 15-20 PSI. It will support some of the weight of the vehicle and minimize the effects of trailering.

You can find it here  http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/256/Dragster

One recommendation is to insert a small sheet of thin plywood between the stabilizer and the chassis in case there are any protruding bolts on the under side of the chassis.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:52:31 AM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/