Author Topic: FEDs on trailers  (Read 53783 times)

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Re: FEDs on trailers
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
I had to cheat on mine to get good tonque weight. I forgot even my short dragster has substantial engine set back. I made a Gas can support for the tongue from 1/2 inch steel and run to the track with a full spare fuel can . On the return I sub my spare water cans if the fuel one is empty. I brought me into the range where it is good. without it it is livable but annoying at slow speed. I should have put the axle back farther, even a few inches. However this was a practical work around.
other don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline Roger Walling

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 8.34 sec. 1961
  • Your Track: Conn. drag way 1961
  • Your Vehicle: aa/d
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2014, 02:23:51 PM »
 Back in 58 we dident have much money so we scrimped on the steel.

Offline RacinJacin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.30's
  • Your Track: Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2014, 01:53:06 PM »
Love my open trailer, but admit there are times when I wish it was enclosed - I had always planned on making it BOTH - just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Offline 30dodgeboy

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 1956 354 Chrysler on gas... for now
  • Your Track: Byron Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 144" FED and a few 67 Coronets
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2014, 12:23:32 PM »
My 144" wheelbase car when I had it on my 16' utility trailer for its first haul (short local trip).  Even though it was unfinished, people really checked it out as I was hauling down the road.  Now it is functional (they are never done) and I purchased a 20' enclosed trailer to keep the car safe and out of any bad weather, as it is a relatively long haul to the track I like to race at.  My enclosed trailer has cabinets in the front to store the necessary stuff out of the way and out of sight.  I wish my enclosed trailer could be made to tilt, as my FED has very little ground clearance at the engine oil pan...so I must use REALLY LONG ramps and also raise the trailer tongue.  The ramps must be parallel to the trailer deck to get the car in or out without bottoming.  If I were to ever make a trailer, it certainly would be a tilt deck like Jacins pictured earlier.
2018 Meltdown Drags - July 20-22 Byron, Illinois

Offline RacinJacin

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2014, 07:22:46 PM »
I've posted this elsewhere, but thought you guys would really appreciate it.

I reworked this license plate for my trailer.  If you follow the old 392's at all - you'll get it instantly. :-)
I added a sot showing what I started with.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:25:19 PM by RacinJacin »

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 - 9.08
  • Your Track: Gardermoen Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 180" FED
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2014, 10:53:53 PM »
Wow RacinJacin! That trailer is awesome.
And the license plate is way cool. Are you allowed to use that? Or is it just for display.

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »
Jacin might be a bit too modest to post his you-tube functional video of his traile, hope I'm not overstepping here, I think it's way cool and functional.

Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline RacinJacin

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 05:37:23 PM »
Gasserx, No it's only for display. Did I mention I am occasionally VERY forgetful. <big grin>
Not a lot of people notice such things - but it's usually good for a laugh when they do.

Thanks Janjon, I have always planned on making this trailer a "convertible" in terms of having a enclosure. I have narrowed it down to 2 designs I really REALLY like.  I just have to pick one.  Both versions will be very reminiscent of a Mr. Ed style because I have always loved those - plus I tow with a small pickup (47 Ford) so for me less is more. I might sound like I've lost my marbles, but in one possible version it would be pretty much one piece and would pivot at the front - the problems with this design is: No access when top is on - (I store the car on the trailer in the garage. Next the rear section would need to fold a little to allow the whole caboodle to still fit in my 22' garage.  In the next possible version the trailer top would be 2 pieces. The front section would be stationary. The rear section would slide OVER the front. This would solve to problems- first it would allow me to leave everything in place and have access to the motor when stored in the garage - it would also allow me to have the angled rear - just need to slide it forward before backing into the garage - I am leaning towards this version as it seems to address more of my issues - although it might be a tad more difficult to pull off - sealing would be a slight challenge, but not (I hope) be impossible. 

These are the thoughts that keep popping up in my head..... to be continued. :-)

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 - 9.08
  • Your Track: Gardermoen Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 180" FED
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2014, 01:04:12 AM »
Wow, seeing that video... Super awesome. Looks great and lots of cool deatils. Even the color is great  :D

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2014, 01:51:14 AM »
Gasserx, No it's only for display. Did I mention I am occasionally VERY forgetful. <big grin>
Not a lot of people notice such things - but it's usually good for a laugh when they do.

Thanks Janjon, I have always planned on making this trailer a "convertible" in terms of having a enclosure. I have narrowed it down to 2 designs I really REALLY like.  I just have to pick one.  Both versions will be very reminiscent of a Mr. Ed style because I have always loved those - plus I tow with a small pickup (47 Ford) so for me less is more. I might sound like I've lost my marbles, but in one possible version it would be pretty much one piece and would pivot at the front - the problems with this design is: No access when top is on - (I store the car on the trailer in the garage. Next the rear section would need to fold a little to allow the whole caboodle to still fit in my 22' garage.  In the next possible version the trailer top would be 2 pieces. The front section would be stationary. The rear section would slide OVER the front. This would solve to problems- first it would allow me to leave everything in place and have access to the motor when stored in the garage - it would also allow me to have the angled rear - just need to slide it forward before backing into the garage - I am leaning towards this version as it seems to address more of my issues - although it might be a tad more difficult to pull off - sealing would be a slight challenge, but not (I hope) be impossible. 

These are the thoughts that keep popping up in my head..... to be continued. :-)

very cool idea.  I'm thinking of the same primarily for access when garaged.  In stead of having the rear section sliding forward, you could have the rear top and sides and tailgate hinged and fold them forward.  Might be easier to seal.  Whatever you do please post a build thread here.

Offline LaneM

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.68 1/4
  • Your Engine: BBC 548ci crowler injected alky
  • Your Track: RMR West Valley,Utah
  • Your Vehicle: front engine digger of course
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »
gotta say towing on a open trailer has some perks..showing the toy off and all..I towed a 55 chevy that way 3 years then got a enclosed trailer..ah alittle harder to strap down,harder to get out of the car,but perks are everything locked up,no problems with driving in rain,storage,full of lights so it is easyier loading at end of going rounds.The car is gone and now a 180inch fed now lives their..another great perk is I don't have to unload when I get home cause of the pine trees dripping sap in the driveway and no way would I leave it on the street overnight. My 24' weighs in around 3100pds and I pull it with a 3/4 ton van. You can find older trailers as cheap and beet up or newer for more $ but the pieace of mind of having everything safe and sound where you left it is priceless..and in the event major tie down issues arose where would your ride end up?Drawbacks,alittle more money and you cannt show and tell to fellow travelers..but hey that's what the track and a good run is all about..or part anyway..just my view..but hey..maybe I will look for a old boat trailer to convert so I can pull the fed behind my daily driver..66 el camino.

Offline ricci32

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: sbc ,gas, 358cid
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: Vintage style FED
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2014, 08:44:40 AM »
Just picked up this vintage trailer for my vintage FED.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2014, 08:52:11 AM »
Looks good, by the way I'm back home now from Florida 50 miles east of Buffalo
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2014, 05:58:17 PM »
Glen are you snowed in up there?

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
Glen are you snowed in up there?

No, the snow was very localized to Buffalo, we maybe have 2 inches on the ground. Drove through it with the Motor Home and trailer (small squall) It was interesting driving.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/