Author Topic: FEDs on trailers  (Read 53771 times)

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 - 9.08
  • Your Track: Gardermoen Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 180" FED
Re: FEDs on trailers
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »
I did see that Tim  :D Very cool! How long is your car?

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 03:29:36 AM »
It's styled after a 1958 Chassis Research car, 106 wheelbase

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 04:02:44 AM »
That would be too long for me. I wouldn't be able to see the front wheels. Mine is 96.
So where do all the wire wheels come from? Can you get them for any spindle. (I have Chevy handy van spindles on my front axle) or just early Ford or Anglia spindles.
don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline PalliP

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Iceland
  • Your Vehicle: Jeep CJ5
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2014, 01:44:35 PM »
If you are in Norway the I think the easiest solutions and cheapest is to modify a boat trailer
Something like this.
http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/annonse?finnkode=50767093&searchclickthrough=true
At least this is the way I was thinkin about With my Project.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »
DON, no not every spindle, but I have made/modified hubs to fit odd-ball spindles. Like Euro M/C side car wheels, Fiat spindles,  airplane wire wheels, etc.
I have an inventory of odd hubs that I may be able to fit your spindles.  I just made a set of wheels and tires for the "Super Snake" Don's 67' FED SOHC dragster, and I had the exact hubs, rims, and tires he ran on his car in 1967.
So if you'd like some wire spoke wheels on your slant 6, call me, 805-444-4489, and think about sending me one of your spindles, when you are ready for some "Down Time".
And once we have hubs that will work on your spindles, then think about what size wheels and tires you'd like, that will change the look of your Hot Rod.

Jon Hansen, Hayden Wheels.
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »
This is how we roll our FED to the track.  Trailer came with the chassis when I bought it but have done some upgrades.  You do get a lot of thumbs up when going to the track.

Offline probird

• View Profile
  • Your Track: alberta
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 11:09:02 AM »
I noticed all the trailers use 1 set of wheels.
would it not be smoother for the bouncy fed if it were tandem?
Just thinking?

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 03:59:36 AM »
no way would I be towing a single axle with the car on forwards, all the weight is over the back end of the trailer which makes it tail happy. 

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 - 9.08
  • Your Track: Gardermoen Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 180" FED
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 04:31:16 AM »
Would probably be better to back her up on there, and maybe relocated the axle on the trailer. But i still like the idea of an open trailer :)

Btw; was looking at a really nice homemade trailer this weekend, they used an old caravan chassis (similar to the one i was looking at), boogie axles, and enclosed. They built it out of waterproof plywood. They got a sponsor for the plywood, so all in all they paid only $1000 for it ready to go.
I forgot to take a picture of it. But they used it for a RED slightly longer than my car.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 04:37:18 AM »
no way would I be towing a single axle with the car on forwards, all the weight is over the back end of the trailer which makes it tail happy.

Phil,
       if the trailer has the correct amount of weight on the hitch it will tow great with the wheels that far back. It is all about the balance of the trailer, the only time that it would be "tail happy" would be if you are drifting it around corners (and even then having the wheels that far back would make that fun as you would be able to hang it way out. Oops, forgot that you have those narrow roads over there  :)

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 04:41:33 AM »
I noticed all the trailers use 1 set of wheels.
would it not be smoother for the bouncy fed if it were tandem?
Just thinking?

If a single axle deal has the weight capacity it is probably better with a light race car/trailer package. Two axles mean more unsprung weight pounding up and down over any bumps and transmitting the shock to the racer car.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline mfp-66

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: stock 68 cadillac 472
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2014, 01:55:37 PM »

mine on a open trailer. haven't got room to store a box trailer so when fed is in the garage, I store the trailer on its side beside the garage
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:54:32 AM by mfp-66 »

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2014, 02:45:05 AM »

Phil,
       if the trailer has the correct amount of weight on the hitch it will tow great with the wheels that far back. It is all about the balance of the trailer, the only time that it would be "tail happy" would be if you are drifting it around corners (and even then having the wheels that far back would make that fun as you would be able to hang it way out. Oops, forgot that you have those narrow roads over there  :)

Roo

they still dance about Roo, I've got the T-Shirt on this one.  Had a single axle with a slingshot on it get into a tank slapper at about 55mph due to the weight being over and behind the axle.  I knew I was in trouble when I saw the race numbers on the side of my slingshot in my side mirror  :(.  I managed to get it stopped and crawl to a petrol station to put the car on backwards.  I'm lucky it didn't jack knife on me.  I added a stabilising bar after that which really helped with the single axle as they float about in ruts created by trucks and get blown about in the wind.  After that I went to an old bus which took an altered in the back.  Only problem with the bus was no passenger seating, so I had my pal sit in the altered for the journey to the track  ;D.  We now use a twin axle trailer as it costs nothing to run and tows great on our narrow "Ye Olde English" roads   :D

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2014, 04:56:47 AM »
 " Had a single axle with a slingshot on it get into a tank slapper at about 55mph due to the weight being over and behind the axle. "    That is the key Phil, you need to have the axle far enough back to put some weight on the hitch. My dad towed caravans (travel trailers for the Yanks) for nearly 50 years and never had a problem because he always made sure that the package was balanced correctly.

Roo

Offline DON

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.49 /109 mph in 1/8
  • Your Engine: 302 chev.
  • Your Track: Empire dragway
  • Your Vehicle: T bodied altered
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2014, 05:57:45 AM »
It is recommended that the tongue weight be at least 10-15% of total weight .So get out a scale to remove any doubt .