Author Topic: Radiator Mount  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Oldschool

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.42 in a BB Chevy Altered 9.28 in my Vega
  • Your Engine: 434 Scott Shafiroff Racing Engine
  • Your Track: US 36 , Mo Kan and Heartland Park Topeka
  • Your Vehicle: 173" Front Engine Dragster
Radiator Mount
« on: June 26, 2014, 07:00:20 PM »
I need some idea's on best way to mount radiator ,which is 12" wide and 20" long. Some pictures would be great.I tried to load picture,but to big.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:31:09 PM by GlennLever »
It is not the years in your life
But the life in your years

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
Re: Radiator Mount
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 07:29:36 PM »
Never heard of such a thing.  ???

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »
I need some idea's on best way to mount radiator ,which is 12" wide and 20" long. Some pictures would be great.I tried to load picture,but to big.

Thanks

This has worked for me

I ask Keith to design and install this for me, a LOT of people have given me a hard time about it, but I can turn the vehicle around in a bout 10 minutes if I have to.

I like it. In my next engine build to get to 7.5 I will most likely remove it and mount it in the trailer and have quick disconnect hoses that run to the engine, pump radiator and fan all mounted in the trailer.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:28:38 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 01:30:37 AM »
IMO on a digger there only one way to mount in, like Glenn has, tilted to avoid airlocks rather than airflow.  On an altered you can use a small one upright and have a model t etc grill shell over it.

If you're running brackets or gas, having the radiator and fan is the best thing you can do.  On my BBC altered it allowed me to drive the car back to the pits and be cooled down ready to run the next round before most of the dry block guys had even towed back.   It also takes all the panic out of any startline holdups, I've seen guys raving at the starter for holding them after firing, I sit and flick the fan on (always had the pump circulating).  Mentioned it before but the best cooling aid I had (running mid 8's on pump gas) was locking out the timing.  Running timing all in dropped my temps considerably and extended the window which I could run the car for. 

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »

Thanks
I would have the fan on the bottom and pushing air up through the radiator.

Hot air likes to rise, and you would be picking "cool" air up from under the dragster, and fans like to push rather than pull.

Same guy that built yours built mine.

With the inlet and outlet hose connections on the top like you have them you really did not need the valves to release air.

As the cowl is welded to the radiator I think you are forced into having the fan on top.

I still think I would have the fan blow into the radiator (to help keep the fan motor cool).

The radiator is at enough of an angle that trapped air will want to raise to the outlet and inlet.

What are you going to do for a pump? Have you thought about an expansion tank?

I set my expansion tank up to "self burp air" from the system.

I constantly pull a small amount of water from the bottom of the tank and have a return to the tank from the highest point on the engine.

Take a look at the attach  picture.

and this link

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.saldanaracingproducts.com%2FCooling%2520System%2520Principles.pdf&ei=MOutU6upK5KfyAS0q4GIBA&usg=AFQjCNFfiRxQgl-RSFJPB8YrmlYkP0O8ig&bvm=bv.69837884,d.aWw

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:13:59 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/