Author Topic: Injectorator  (Read 16238 times)

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
Injectorator
« on: June 17, 2014, 07:46:42 PM »
Anyone with experience or know about bill mitchell Injectorators? been playing with one and not quite to the sweet spot yet. Is on a 560 bbc. 500 pump. 56 or 65 gph nozzles. Troubles with 60' times. Can get right with either nozzles but 60' sucks. Appears to be fat low and good above 6500 rpm. Is an alky system. No data system on engine. And yes first post. thanks for a great fed site.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:03:04 PM by hemidakota »
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
Re: Injectorator
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 07:39:03 AM »
Here are a few pics of the setup if you have not seen one before.

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
I think Injectorators are a good idea do not know why more people do not use them. That is where the problem lies, there is not many people who can give you a baseline. With that said they are basically a standard mechanical fuel injection with a set of squirter nozzles added.
Cheapest and best way to get it to work is dyno it with someone who knows how to tune injection. With out data it is just a guess.
If you think it is fat down low you can lengthen the turnbuckle on your barrel valve to lean it down some.   You can probably put smaller nozzles and different plastic cam to cut the fuel down on your squirter system just like a carb?
If you have any high speed lean outs I would disable them until you got rest of mixture right then start adding HS a little at a time. Looks like you have several bypasses and I would find out exactly what each one does, what jet it has in them and where they open at. A leakdown tester can check them quickly and easily. I put a -6 an fitting on my leakdown tester and can check them at the track with my small El-Cheapo compressor.
Generally if I am not sure what it needs I try fattening it up first and see what it does. If it is fat it will not hurt much just slow down a little. If it is lean it could hurt the motor.
You can measure the turnbuckle with a set of calipers before you start making changes so you can return to your baseline if it does not work.
I got an Enderle hat last year, took me quite a while to get it where I wanted it and only took about 4 pulls to get it perfect on a dyno.
There is a guy who bought the rights to the Injectorators or selling them now, do not know exactly what the deal is but I can find him for you if you need me to. He may be able to get you a good starting point.

Nice looking car and good luck with the Injectorator, should work great when you get it dialed in.

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 04:01:45 AM »
With accelerator squirters, you can set the idle a lot leaner than a normal injection unit.  If you are launching off a 2-step, then you need what is called a converter helper (just an electronic lean-out) to prevent an over rich condition at launch.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 02:07:28 PM »
can you give me more basic info on the setup?  Love to learn new things and never heard of this setup before. thanks!!!

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
If I am not mistaken I think Waterman had something to do with the development of those .

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 07:35:37 PM »
I believe the guy who is selling them and supporting them now is Jim Barton. As I understand it Sid waterman and Bill Mitchell worked together to design, test, build and sell them. I can get Jim's number if you need to talk to him and like I said I think they should be a good system when you get it tuned right.

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »
This is a Waterman/Mitchell design. It is actually a neat system that does work well. The barrel valve has and idle slot in it and you can adjust the idle fuel with the mixture screw in the side of the barrel valve. Then there is a idle pill that is just to keep fuel in the float bowls for the accelerator pumps. When the throttle is opened the barrel valve moves to wide open. It does not have a window that gradually opens, it opens wide open and closes off the idle circuit. The other two check valves are a main and high speed. I was told to use the high speed and set it 10 psi above fuel pressure when engine is on convertor. What I would like to do next time out is remove the high speed and only use the main with a much larger pill. How does one figure out what the flow of two .070" pills is in one pill. My brain says well that's easy use a .140" pill. So I would like to figure that out because I think a .140" pill would flow more than two .070" pills. Hopefully this makes sense.

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
And yes I would be interested in Barton's phone number. Thanks. Any help is always use full.

dreracecar

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »
2- .070 flow a combined area of .00769 sq in
1- .099 flows .00769 sq in
1- .140 flows .0153  sq in
So--- a .140 flows 4 times what a single .070 does

http://tdaweb.com/TNFA.calculator.htm
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:26:35 PM by dreracecar »

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 10:26:30 PM »
Thanks for the info/link

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »
You may contact me at  386-589-1620 or jabarton05618@gmail.com.  Jim Barton 

He is the guy selling those systems now, give him a call and see if he can help you.

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 11:00:26 AM »
Let us know how it works out. I like those systems and think they may even be improved on more if they had gas in the squirter nozzles to make it easier to start and less fuel needed. The problem is a carb idles better uses less fuel and starts easier. The injection makes more power, the Injectorator is trying to make the best of both but I think could be a little harder to get just right.

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 08:36:44 AM »
After chasing our tune for a few test n tunes we decided to go with much bigger main jets to hopefully fix a very rich condition at the starting line and also horrible 60ft. times.  We have not had a chance to take it to the track but the car sounds much cleaner and revs quickly and comes up on the transbrake great.  We did find out that our specrite converter that is supposed to be 5500 only stalls to 4500, but this has been another issue dealing with them and their horrible customer service.