Author Topic: What type of automatic transmission fluid do you guys use.  (Read 8970 times)

Offline ricci32

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: sbc ,gas, 358cid
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: Vintage style FED
What type of automatic transmission fluid do you guys use.
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:52:56 PM »
what type of trans fluid do you guys use.

dreracecar

Re: What type of automatic transmission fluid do you guys use.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 08:43:38 AM »
The kind my tranny builder sells that way when the tranny goes south he cant blame it on me for using the wrong fluid.
By the way  Mikes Transmission PG and his fluid

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 12:40:37 PM »
I told there is no need for it but I use BTE Transmission Fluid

http://www.bteracing.com/BTE-Transmission-Fluid-5-Quart.html

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 02:39:57 PM »
I use mobil 1 . Stable to 1600F and aluminum melts at 1250 to 1300 so I know it will never be an issue.
We, I ran a 4150lb race car for many years with a 5100 stall converter and a transbraked torqueflite. Every few weeks I had to pull the trans and fix the inner sealing ring of the high clutch to stator support . I had already went to stainless but the seals would begin to fail and it would show up in my MPH by a unexplainable sudden loss in MPH. Got so I knew what to watch for and just dealt with it. One day a local oil dealer brought Mobil Engineer the late Mike Priest here. It was obvious he was drag car savy. He asked if I had high clutch troubles and I explained the above. He asked why I didn't use Mobil1 synthetic . I poo pooed it but he issued me the challenge quoating the figures I mentioned above. Back then it was about an $80 touch to use it. I swallowed hard and gave it a try. Five years later I was on the same trans as it had not had to be serviced since. In spring checkover even the kickdown band did not require adjustment. Eventually I broke a rear spraque and had to remove the trans and replace the sheared case however even though I checked them all none of the clutches or bands needed replacement. I since decided that that trans probably took more abuse then any other I will own however I still use synthetic at least in all my race trans. The doorslammer car used to run 1.52 60 footers at 4150 lbs race weight carrying the wheels sometimes a foot in the air. My pal Gary also uses it in his BB Mopar RED which we adapted a heavily reworked 904 trans to. I don't think it would survive otherwise. His car is an old Woody G touring car which was built to survive and has. Not particularly light for  RED.
For me it was the cheapest $80 I ever spent.
don
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:43:46 PM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »
I use mobil 1 . Stable to 1600F and aluminum melts at 1250 to 1300 so I know it will never be an issue.
We, I ran a 4150lb race car for many years with a 5100 stall converter and a transbraked torqueflite. Every few weeks I had to pull the trans and fix the inner sealing ring of the high clutch to stator support . I had already went to stainless but the seals would begin to fail and it would show up in my MPH by a unexplainable sudden loss in MPH. Got so I knew what to watch for and just dealt with it. One day a local oil dealer brought Mobil Engineer the late Mike Priest here. It was obvious he was drag car savy. He asked if I had high clutch troubles and I explained the above. He asked why I didn't use Mobil1 synthetic . I poo pooed it but he issued me the challenge quoating the figures I mentioned above. Back then it was about an $80 touch to use it. I swallowed hard and gave it a try. Five years later I was on the same trans as it had not had to be serviced since. In spring checkover even the kickdown band did not require adjustment. Eventually I broke a rear spraque and had to remove the trans and replace the sheared case however even though I checked them all none of the clutches or bands needed replacement. I since decided that that trans probably took more abuse then any other I will own however I still use synthetic at least in all my race trans. The doorslammer car used to run 1.52 60 footers at 4150 lbs race weight carrying the wheels sometimes a foot in the air. My pal Gary also uses it in his BB Mopar RED which we adapted a heavily reworked 904 trans to. I don't think it would survive otherwise. His car is an old Woody G touring car which was built to survive and has. Not particularly light for  RED.
For me it was the cheapest $80 I ever spent.
don

Dolmetsch, that's an interesting experience. Do you mean the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF?

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx

Another cool thread!

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »
I use WalMart type F....because that is what my trans guy told me to run.
I run a 7.0 supercharged altered and have had NO trans issues for 3 years.
My car weights 2150 and needs approx. 1300HP to go 7.0.
A faster class with more weight might require something different.
Steve Walczak

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »
Dolmetsch, that's an interesting experience. Do you mean the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF?
YES
don
This is going to be hard to believe but I went for coffee tonight with a group of old guys, one of whom was the Oil dealer who is now retired at 73 years old. I arrived late and when I sat down with my coffee and donut he was telling the rest the story I just told you all above. I haven't talked to him about it in probably 20 years. That was just 40 minutes ago. ????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:40:28 PM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!