Author Topic: Dragmaster Dart  (Read 10494 times)

Offline JohnHancock

• To old & fat to race. Drive my FED on the street
    • View Profile
  • Your Track: Thunder Valley
  • Your Vehicle: '48 Anglia
Dragmaster Dart
« on: June 12, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
I want to build a Dart for a toy. Does anyone know where I might find blueprints or a chassis near Norman Ok. I could go to take measurements? I would also like a Woody car blueprint if that was available.     Thanks. I love this site.    John

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
Re: Dragmaster Dart
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:43:04 AM »
For a Woody car, look for RCE in a search, that was his shop.  The article on "The Old Master" showed how a Dragmaster chassis was built.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline JohnHancock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 05:38:14 AM »
Thanks. I'll check those out. I'l gravity impared and think I'd have a better shot of getting in and out of the Dart. I crewed for Pete Robinson so I have a love for the Woody cars. I didn't know him when he ran the Dart. I want to clone that car.

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 04:41:23 AM »
Do you mean this style? If so Mike Sietsma who built this has an old faded blueprint which he used as a basic guideline.
don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline JohnHancock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 06:42:41 AM »
Thanks, but that is more of a Scotty Finn design. This is more like I had in mind.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »
For a Woody car, look for RCE in a search, that was his shop.  The article on "The Old Master" showed how a Dragmaster chassis was built.

The Old Master is a Don Long car--different critter.

Roger "Riceman" Lee used to sell chassis prints for various early builder styles but evidently had some problems  with people who thought that he should not be doing that even though he created the drawings himself.
  In 2012 Dode Martin (at age 82) completed a 14 month build of a brand new Dragmaster chassis powered by a Chevy LS motor. His partner Jim Nelson passed away in May of that year. Dode's new built was a little different to the originals as it had to be to pass current NHRA tech standards.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline JohnHancock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 08:28:07 PM »
Rooman, I was hoping you would chime in here. Can you build a certifiable Dart style chassis? How can I get Rogers' contact info. If he has old style blueprints I would like them for garage art!    John

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 05:36:25 AM »
Rooman, I was hoping you would chime in here. Can you build a certifiable Dart style chassis? How can I get Rogers' contact info. If he has old style blueprints I would like them for garage art!    John

John,
        Roger is on Facebook so you can probably contact him there.  The only issue with building a certifiable original style Dragmaster chassis is the fact that the lower frame rail is non contiguous under the rear end mounting bracket but I have been thinking about a solution to that problem. There is a good story on Dode Martin in the latest (and evidently one of the last) issue of Rod and Custom magazine.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline JohnHancock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 07:54:46 AM »
Thanks Roo. I saw the R&C article. I'll try the facebook thing. When you figure out the Dart problem let me know. I'm going to Thunder Valley (in Noble Ok.) for the nostalgic show next weekend. That may be a BIG mistake!  LOL    John
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:56:37 AM by JohnHancock »

Offline Nitro hillbilly

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Thorn hill
  • Your Vehicle: My feet
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 07:41:49 PM »
John,
       I just got from bowling green last weekend. I had a extensive talk with the head nhra inspector for ky.  We went over prints I have made for a 7.50 legal dragmaster chassis feel free to give me a call to discuss 859-638-3569 James