Author Topic: How much spark advance with alcohol?  (Read 6735 times)

Offline Pipe Dreams

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.09@165
  • Your Engine: 416 small block MOPAR
  • Your Track: Milan,Mi or Norwalk,Oh
  • Your Vehicle: 170" woody gilmore fed
How much spark advance with alcohol?
« on: June 05, 2014, 03:52:08 AM »
Hey Guy's,  Just started playing with the timing after switching to alcohol, add was wondering where you are at. C hecked the timing after switching to alcohol end of last yr , and was at 28  degrees. 8)Bumped it up to 36 this last weekend and did' t see any marked change.  Plugs looked good, 2 treads and witness mark on the corner of the strap. Any thoughts? My combo is a 415 sb mopar with Indy alum.  heads, 12.8:1 CR with a . 590 flat tappet cam and an enderle dual toilet on a tunnel ram.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:55:12 AM by Pipe Dreams »

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: How much spark advance with alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 06:23:28 AM »

Generally, naturally aspirated on methanol, people end up about 36-38 degrees for best performance but that does vary. Better performance might come in the form of an extra MPH or two and not change ET much at all. I'm surprised that moving from 28 to 36 you didn't notice a good change. I would run the least amount of timing you have to in order to get the best performance. Throw back what doesn't benefit you.

When running timing in the 20's, the usual complaints are that EGT's are high but the plugs aren't colored yet, it won't burn much fuel and/or performance is sluggish.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:38:30 AM »
Go 3 threads

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »

Generally, naturally aspirated on methanol, people end up about 36-38 degrees for best performance but that does vary. Better performance might come in the form of an extra MPH or two and not change ET much at all. I'm surprised that moving from 28 to 36 you didn't notice a good change. I would run the least amount of timing you have to in order to get the best performance. Throw back what doesn't benefit you.

When running timing in the 20's, the usual complaints are that EGT's are high but the plugs aren't colored yet, it won't burn much fuel and/or performance is sluggish.

Spud

Interesting, I'm running 28 degrees and seeing just what you described, no color in the plugs and high EGT's.

When I get home I'll send an email with some questions, I want to change the tune up a little
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:58:59 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 03:53:34 AM »
If you are fat (rich), you could be burning fuel in the pipes, giving a false high EGT.  My engine (BB MOPAR) liked a couple more degrees timing on alcohol over what it liked on gas.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 07:16:57 PM »
I do not think the fuel selection is as big of a factor in timing needed as chamber and piston design is. A more efficient piston and chamber needs less timing. I agree with staying a few degrees conservative on the timing. Plus there may be other variables. Your timing light or marks may be off a few degrees so you really need to run it and see what works best on your combination.