Author Topic: How to properly launch a FED?  (Read 28859 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: How to properly launch a FED?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
I have been following this thread. Hoping to see few comments that said as hard as you can. I have always been aggressive type racer.Don't like to leave anything on the table performance wise and always attack the first half of track extra hard. Gee wonder why I choose SN WIDEOPEN? I have always likesd to see  a good rotation and not deadhook on the tire. With blower cars we would be a hair short of smoking the tire,but also had best 60' times and real strong half track and I figure last half is al about power and first half moslty power management.

With less motor it may not workout as well to be as agressive.I will keep checking to see what the guys with FED running experiance have to say.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 06:40:21 PM »
  When I had the ZZ-4 pump gas engine in the dragster it picked the front wheels up about 3 in. and moved them over to the right just a little, maybe 3-4 in. (still easily driveable) E.T. 5.90 @117. With 2 1/2 times the HP, the problem is much worse  :o. We only made one very tentative hit before raining out.  Checking the tire diameter, I found almost 1/2 in difference in circumference, which equalized by dropping the pressure by 1 psi. Looking forward to this weekend, hoping for more tuning opportunities. Also lowered the wheelie bar (92" long from axle centerline) to 3". Getting the launch dialed in seems like a common thing with these traction monsters. Next time out, it's spin or bleed.

Offline glennadmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 8.258 / 157.48 / in the quarter
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 07:34:44 AM »
A softer (lower rpm) launch will make it easier to climb the ring gear.  You want to launch at 600 - 400 rpm under the converters stall speed.  And yes, it raise slicks air pressure @ 5 psi. increments until you start slipping the tire.  You really need somebody watching the car to help with that, shorter wheelie bar contact with pavement, less than 4 wrinkles of the slick at launch movement.  Those wrinkles are important clues also, they need to be in the lower front of the tire, and not behind axle centerline.

I will try to launch 600 - 400 rpm bellow the converter stall speed next time I'm on the track.
In what range will a "normal" tire pressure be? I know it will depend on a lots of things, but it would be good to just have an idea. I have been running around 10-12PSI before. Wouldn't the tire pressure be very high if I increase with 5PSI a couple of times until I get some tire speed?

Take a look, remember I am a low  HP dragster only running 8.00

GlennLever, what is the size of your tires? How much pressure do you run in them?

Sorry it took so long, rear tires are 31/12/15
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars http://www.leverfamilysite.com/

Offline Mister_Fitz

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Trackless
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 07:56:19 AM »
Thanks!
How much pressure do you run i  them?