Author Topic: Ground clearance and tire height  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Radar

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 150" 385 injected FED
Ground clearance and tire height
« on: May 30, 2014, 10:51:13 PM »
This is my first post here.  I am getting to the finishing stages of my FED construction.  I have been figuring on 3 inches of clearance between the chassis and ground.  Is that about right ? 

My second question is on tire height.  The center of my rear axles are 9-3/4 inches above the bottom of the frame.  If we add the that figure to 3 inches of ground clearance then the rear axle centers are 12-3/4 inches above the ground.  What I cannot find anywhere is how much the tires will drop when the weight of the car is on them. 

I am using 12" rims.  The car is for brackets and NE-3 or possibly NE-2 (not sure it will have the guts for 8.60).  Any help or tire recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Ground clearance and tire height
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 04:57:44 AM »
Radar,
          depending on tire size, pressure, manufacturer and overall diameter I normally figure ride height at around 1/2" less than nominal diameter. Ground clearance need to be a minimum of 3" to a point 12" behind the centerline of the front axle and 2" minimum for the rest of the car except for headers and oil pan.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: Ground clearance and tire height
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »
Been wondering if I have enough clearance myself. I have 3.5 at front and 3 at motor plate. Thats with 32 tire ,block,crank heads,intake and me. Add 120 for trans and maybe 120 for pistons,rods cam and misc. I Konw I will be legal but also not looking to drag frame in shut down if get bounce going on. Hopefully tire growth will add enough to help there.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot