Author Topic: OIL PAN KICKOUT worth effort?  (Read 8454 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
OIL PAN KICKOUT worth effort?
« on: May 02, 2014, 05:36:47 AM »
I'm working on finishing my oil pan for my hemi.I have a moroso made pan,but had to add starter and did not want to cut it up. After getting it almost finished I was doing some reading in R-M engine book about pans and designs. They claim 20 plus HP gain with kickout to help with windage.

Now 20 hp is not earth shaking but hey its free power. It does show cpl hundredths and few mph,when run thru drag simulator program. I can add the kickout with some extra work very little cost. I have not finished inside anway and changing baffle and windage tray is not big deal.

With the Hemi design block and the crank being up in it instead of hanging out bottom like chevy,I was wondering if kickout would be as efective at catching the windage off crank.Most info suggest kickout more effective the harder you spin motor.only makes sense. While I will not be alky dragster turning this one(10,000 rpm shifts) I will hit 8000 at times and shifting around 7500. Unless I get pissed and abused car because of light bulb screwup(hopefully age cured this).
 Finding info on kickout pan for Hemi is next to impossible. There are few thousand pics of BBC pans and not one that I found of hemi. Heck if had dyno I would R&D one with few ideas on diresting the windage some for kickout.

Questions are. How effective?
                       Any design info and pics are worth ten thousand words with me?
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

Re: OIL PAN KICKOUT worth effort?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:40:34 PM »
Here is your clue to the answer---

Very few new ideas out there, everything has basicly been tried and flogged to death. Therefor if the design had ANY merit--- you could buy one already done

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:46:16 PM »
sure is a lot of them for BBC. Some guy named Newberry had one on his car back in mid 90's. Have chatted with half dozen or so who swear by power gain on dyno.
Most of the pand made for Hemi are for blown alky or fuel especailly on TFX blocks.  Found pics of pro stock engine with kickout but the where also dry sump.

I found plenty on them for bbc and sbc,guessing other stuff also just not much on Hemi stuff. Going to see how one runs with it when cars done. I started adding it to pan today. If nothing else it does add more capacity and keep oil level down and away from crank at same time..

I'll keep searching.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »
Chris look at what some of the super stock racers are using on there Hemi's . I don't know if it will help you or not . I know on a small block it helps a lot 20 hp is 20 hp !

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 04:09:31 PM »
Bill,
Been searching net for stuff. SS not big on telling power secrets. Pan would be obvious to see. Just Don't know anyone running SS. If had idea cpl weeks ago Charlotte 4 wide would have been great for research on subject.  Agree 20 hp for little work is cheap power.Heck if only 10 I'll take it.Horsepower is like weight it adds up.One piece might not make enough differance to show on time slip,but 5 of the same will. Im sure the 2.25 lbs. Im machined off caliper will not make any differance but added to 9 more items its 25 lbs.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:21:59 PM by wideopen231 »

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »
We ran a Chry smallblock in or sprint car (410) . From Chrys they came as a Y block (Chevys are V), wound up converting it to a V by cutting the pan rail off and building a kick out dry sump pan--could not get the thing to rpm with the windage up inside the block. adding a kick out on a Y style block only adds oil volume to the pan.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 08:06:48 AM »
Went on mopart site last night and found good amount of info or input on subject. Seems little mixed opions there also,did favor the kickout being benifical. Have yet to see anything that says it would hurt anything. Adding scraper to it was also very popular and seemed to help direct the windage into kickout better. A cpl did say they had dynoed with and without and found kickout to make more power.One said he had been working with a custom pan fabricator for while and everytime they added more kickout it showed increase,did not say if anything else had been done.

While I can see skirt hendring best performance gain I do not see how it eliminates it.Y block or V block they both have windage and do away with any or controlling it better has to be benificial.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
Chris What about oil returns I know there are some gains in hp with this . One thing we are warking on with my friends Comp car is the cam tunnel . We closed off the bottom . Just thinking out loud ! 

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »
I'm not sure I could close off bottom,still have babbit bearings not needle so I am feeding oil to cam. On returns I have plans for at least two.One end left rear has no return path from heads and others seem small IMO. I may go all four corners,might be over kill. I do have spray bars to hopefully help rocker adjusters live better.
  I also fabricated a heat shield to go under intake,not sure if it will be issue with alky injection,which will cool intake anyway.Cool thing its super simple install and I might try a A-B-A test with it when cars running.

Bill    thinking out loud is good I'm sure lots of things have been discovered that way.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 10:15:32 AM »
Will try kickout pan for while and looking into accumalting enough parts for dry sump system.

I figure I can sale one moroso pan and Kieth Black billet pump to help offset cost. Dry sump worth power no matter what its on.Too many heads up cars running them and if not more power than the weight those guys would not have them on car. Question then will be how many stages and finding all the parts to build system