Author Topic: Oil tank  (Read 29568 times)

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
Re: Oil tank
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 07:00:53 AM »
"Check valve in expantion tank, -4 stainless line into #1 header. Exhaust blows any water away from the rear tire"

interesting thought  is that what this tank is doing?  is it normally full and then just burps to the exhaust or does it have to fill from the motor first?  is that also a temp gauge at the bottom?
if you need to Hate target Laziness

dreracecar

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »
I run a SBC with alu heads and for the past 12 years I have circulated water thru the heads with a pump (fuel pump extention) and have never had to surface the heads. On first fire up with the tank cap off if chec the water level after I depress the spit valves at the back of the heads to make sure water has completely filled them. The tank is only filled 2/3rds to allow for expantion.
 Water expands when heated and steam pressure rises past the point of 3# and the check will pop off. Early racers using the HEMI would tap into the water fill bosses to direct water expantion into the headers. water pressure was not too much a problem since the cars fired-went to the line-raced. With the added burnout,more heat developed quicker,so a check was added and plumbing into the headers was a easy deal since cars were still using standard breathers.
Temp gauge on the bottom to monitor warm-up heat and fuel system rich/lean (cyl head heat)

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 10:54:26 AM »
Okay I thought I owed you guys a thank you on all the questions I had and the splitting of hairs.  Here is the relatively finished setup.  The tank has 1" inlet to match the hose and the breathers are baffled (just in case).  I need to weld the -16 AN bung to the valve covers, baffle and the filler as well.  The -8 an on the oil tank will be used for coolant puke with a check valve inline to control.  and of course the tank has a drain on the bottom.  this is my first aluminum tank fab and I think it turned out pretty good.  thanks for all the input and such.  Davin
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline JeffV8

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Quaker city
  • Your Vehicle: 164" Woody Gilmore Flexie
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 11:05:57 AM »
Looks good. Nice job

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 07:34:08 AM »
NICE 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline MaggiFinn

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: SBC 355-406
  • Your Track: Kvartmiluklubburinn
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Oil tank
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »
Well my job is done in this department, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Thanks everybody.